Will instructions for a 3 gallon boil work for a one gallon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmiekr

Reaction score
If I have a set of instructions that tell you do a 3 gallon boil, can you follow them for a one gallon boil? I don't have a kettle large enough to do a full 3 gallon boil, maybe I could do a 1.5 - 2. I guess it'd be more concentrated, but I'd think it'd still work fine.

Any thoughts?

Kevin

Basically you are correct.

The only hitch is that the bittering hops will not be as "effective" in a 1-gallon boil as they would be in a 3-gallon boil. So, the beer will have less hop bitternes than intended.

You will get about 1/2 the IBU going from 3 to 1 gallon. The way to get around this is to boil 1/2 of your bittering hops in a gallon of water, cool and pour into your fermenter, then do the actual boil with the rest of the bittering hops, the flavor and aroma hops.

or, add about 20% of your extract to the boil, do the hops like normal, and add the remaining 80% around 15 minutes til the end of the boil.

Back