RIMS vs. HERMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
I still only do extract batches, so a lot of the terminology and techniques are kinda new to me.
Form what I have read so far, RIMS and HERMS are similar. They both are recirculated mash, correct? What is the difference? Is it the way that they are heated? I searched a little bit, but it just stirred up more questions.:(

Who uses which method? And why?

What are the Pro's and Con's of each?

I feel like a nob all over again....what am I talking aabout, I still am a noob!

HERMS is : Heat Exchange Recirculating Mash System
RIMS is: Recirculating Infusion Mash System

You see both types of systems, but more and more people are doing HERMS. This is because with the HERMS, your output from the MT goes through a copper coil that sits in your HLT and is surrounded by water at your given mash temp. This is desireable because the only heat your mash sees is what you expose it to in the coil. With a RIMS, the recirc from the mash is generally directly heated and this can cause over-carmelization, etc.

In either method, the continuous recirculation produces clearer wort.

I can only speak for myself, there are people who are happy with both methods...but I plan on installing a HERMS system in my rig.

HERMS is the way to go. You can be very precise with everything. Also step mash is a breeze! and Mashing out is as easy as pie. I always had a issue with mashing out and always gave up on it but i can get it now with the HERMS. Whats also nice is if you accidently get a little high on your mash temp you can just grab the heat exchanger and put in cold water and run it till you hit your temp i havn't done it yet but you could with the HERMS.
Hope this Helps

Back