Mosaic Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrank85

Reaction score
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.9 gal
Post Boil Volume: 4.94 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 4.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 3.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 5.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 42.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 85.5 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 82.4 %
1 lbs GoldPils Vienna (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 11.8 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.9 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.9 %
1.00 oz Mosaic [11.60 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 5 29.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Mosaic [11.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 8.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Mosaic [11.60 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 4.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 8 -
1.00 oz Mosaic [11.60 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 8 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 16.00 qt of water at 159.7 F 152.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Add 12.00 qt of water at 191.4 F 168.0 F 15 min

Mosaic out of the bag smells terrific! Mango, citrus, spice, earth, and pine. I believe this grist will be a nice balance to this specific hop.

Pre-boil gravity was at 1.049! Bumped 20 minute to 25 minute to balance it out.

Water Chemistry, RO/DI with minerals added back.
Ca: 118
Mg: 11
Na: 20
So4: 254
Cl: 54
HCo3: 54

No doubt! I've been very excited to use this hop ever since I saw it and smelled it in my LHBS. Just this little bit has smelled up my house something fierce, in a good way of course :D. This is the first time I've used whirlfloc on a paler beer and wow I am convinced! This beer has the tightest, densest layer of cold break I've ever seen.

Well OG was at 1.058, if FG hits the projected 1.012 it will make this approx 6.3% abv. I don't want to label it as an IPA because I still feel that it will drink like an APA with the BU:GU and grist. Guess I'll just call it an Imperial Pale Ale :D.

I bottled it on 2/6, hops smell amazing. Ripe pineapple, mango, berries, pine, dank, floral. Taste out of the sample was great as well, defiantly the progeny of nugget and simcoe, super clean and crisp, berry like, ripe fruit, crisp. I'd call it a cleaner, more refined citra. I'm in love.

Still a bit "green" but a beautiful beer none the less.

ForumRunner_20130210_173003.jpg

Second taste done today. Very crisp, candy like sweetness, almost pineapple with tart, CITRUS! Still very clean and crisp. Smells like a ripe peach right off the tree, juicy and sweet. Stone fruits mixed with citrus fruits. This hop would pair well with a nice dank spicy hop imo. This specific malt bill is good for a nice spring or summer day, very crisp and clean. Easy drinking, touch of bread and toast, very subtle. Could have even used munich or bumped up the crystal a bit to provide even more of a malt backbone or subbed 2row for maris. Good all around beer and hop.

I cannot get enough of this beer! I will be brewing this beer multiple times this year. Very refreshing. Nice peach paired with citrus on the nose.

Just asking cause I read about S-05 giving off a peachiness in the lower 60's. Since you mentioned peach in your description of this beer I wanted to know if it might be the yeast contributing.

Since it was probably in the upper 60's seems like it would be coming from the hops. I'll be using S-05 for my next IPA with Mosaic. Thinking I might try to play off the yeast throwing some peach along with the hops.

I am drinking one now as I write this. On the contrary to the OP, mine is an extract from a LBHS. All Mosaic hop bill and US05 also. I for one and not to excited about this hop at least not in the single hop form. I know Sam Adams uses it in their new Latitude 48 Hopology beer. If you are a hop head that likes the funky, dank, piney, citrus bombs like I do, do not do a single hop beer using this. I am getting the same peachy sweet berry aroma flavor as jfrank85 and I fermentened at 68-72. I have another beer that I used US05 that was fermented at the same time and no peachiness to it so I would have to blame the hops.

I will drink this but will not brew again. Just not for me but may be for some that want to get into a pale ale or an IPA and do not want that wonderful stuff I call funky goodness.

I will say I will not count this hop out to add some complexity to a hop bill in the future.

I am drinking one now as I write this. On the contrary to the OP, mine is an extract from a LBHS. All Mosaic hop bill and US05 also. I for one and not to excited about this hop at least not in the single hop form. I know Sam Adams uses it in their new Latitude 48 Hopology beer. If you are a hop head that likes the funky, dank, piney, citrus bombs like I do, do not do a single hop beer using this. I am getting the same peachy sweet berry aroma flavor as jfrank85 and I fermentened at 68-72. I have another beer that I used US05 that was fermented at the same time and no peachiness to it so I would have to blame the hops.

I will drink this but will not brew again. Just not for me but may be for some that want to get into a pale ale or an IPA and do not want that wonderful stuff I call funky goodness.

I will say I will not count this hop out to add some complexity to a hop bill in the future.

when most people say funky that means Belgium/wild yeast

What do you mean by funky hop?

I was talking to a brewer earlier today about Mosaic actually. He said pairing with Simcoe was a little too much, Citra made a nice combination, but his favorite was Columbus. My next IPA will be Magnum bittering w/ Columbus and Mosaic the rest of the way out - crossing my fingers!

Cheers.

The best IPA ive ever had was Just Outstanding on cask with mosaic at Kern River brewing. That beer has simcoe & amarillo it blew citra out of the water.

Back