Judge my nut brown ale water additions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarong

Reaction score
Good evening,

I am brewing a nut brown ale (AG) and wanted to know what you think i should do for salt additions. I am still a new brewer and am trying to work through the Brun Water spreadsheet but am unsure if I am anywhere near right. Here is my water profile info(PPM ):
Ca:24
Mg:4.1
Na:27
K:1.2
Fe:0
HC03:45
CO3:0
SO4:19
CL:56
NO3:1.4
NO2:0
F:0

I calculated a 50% distilled water dilution

I calculated about:
Gypsum: 1.8g mash, 2.5 g sparge
baking soda: 1.4g mash
calcium chloride: .7g mash, 1 g sparge

I dont think i need to add any acid...

Im just looking for a well balance nut brown ale. Im not looking to pull too much of the hops in the taste.

Am I in the ball park?

Thanks for the advice!

I assume that this is bottled spring water, correct?

Why are you planning to dilute with distilled water. None of the mineral levels are a concern, especially for a darker and more strongly flavored beer.

Given that you are looking for a more malt forward beer, I would swap the amounts for Gypsum and Calcium Chloride.

The need for the baking soda is difficult to tell. What color are you shooting for? And how much of this color do you think comes from roasted malts (25, 50 or 75%)?

Kai

I agree with Kai. Why dilute this water? The ion levels are quite reasonable. It seems that you should be able to build from that base.

So my SRM is 18 and I have the color coming from about 15% specialty grains. I chose to dilute since I was trying to match bru'n waters profile for brown ale. I am a beginner at this so I was unsure. I will remove the addition of distilled water and conduct the swap of the salts. Is there any other recommendations or should I be good to go?

Thanks again!
Cheers

Also as for the less bitter beer, my last few all grain batches were very bitter though it was a lightly hopped beer. After further reading I think it has to do with tannins and my water profile. I am not looking to hide the hops but I am just concerned of my ph level pulling too much bitterness. I am all for making the brew taste like a traditional southern English brown ale.

Aaron

I'm looking for some help. I found out my bitterness was an infection so my game plan switched for the same water profile can I just add 1 gram gypsum in mash and 1.4 grams in my sparge? I'm looking for a balanced southern brown ale. I am not adding any distilled water. The recipe is Northern Brewers Nut brown ale (ag).

Thanks a ton for your help!

Aaron

Back