Rinse after sanitation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcbrewmeister

Reaction score
I have to ask because I've ssen more peoplemaking a statement to the effect of "I rinsed it off when I took it out of the sanitizer"... Why?

Depends on what you're using to sanitize. I use a no-rinse sanitizer (StarSan), so the only reason I ever rinse is when it leaves too much foam.

I drip dry most stuff. However, I do rinse one thing when I brew. I'm still doing extract with specialty grains, and I have a five gallon brew pot. I'll boil about 3-4 gallons of water before brewing, chill it a bit, and then pour it into my bottling bucket and cover it with a lid. I sanitize my bottling bucket beforehand, but then I rinse it with scalding hot water out of the tap (~150ºF) because I don't want any weird iodine flavor in the beer. Everything else I have the time and patience to let drip dry in its own time, OR I use vodka for a final sanitization before use. No infection problems so far!

I have never rinsed after using the iodopher solution and I have never noticed an iodine off flavor. Is the rinse really needed?

I don't understand the logic behind rinsing after you sanitize. I mean, sure, you rinse away the possible flavor of the sanitizer, but it's not like tap water is anything close to sterile! Have you *looked* inside your pipes lately? Tap water must be at least as dirty as the inside of an otherwise clean carboy/beer bottle/whatever.

On another post, some people mentioned the bubbles that remain after using StarSan. I had always (and posted this) made a whirlpool and kept it going while tipping the carboy to get most of them out. During my last brew session (3 batches) I realized how tiring it really is so I took a different approach. I threw a shot of Bacardi 151 in there, swirled, and the bubbles disappeared faster than my kids after a loud crash in their rooms.

Latest posts

Back