where to store bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethangray19

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch this past monday and have been storing them in my garage (55-65 F)

Is this a fine place to store them or should they be in a refrigerator?

You should probably have them somewhere a little warmer for the time being to allow the yeast to get them carbonated.

what did you brew? An ale? Ales need warmer temps to carbonate than lagers. Either way, at some time, you will need to raise the temp to the correct temp - as required for the yeast strain.
Have fun! Enjoy!

I really donr want to move all the bottles into my house where it is 66-75F

Will my beers carbonate in my garage?(its an Ale)

I'd be more concerned about the temperature fluctuations that the beer is likely go do through in the garage. Ideal would be about 65 - 68 degrees and consistent. You do NOT want them in the fridge or they won't carbonate.

You have an unused closet?

Well I dont know if my temps are off but I opened a beer today and it seems to be carbonating. I bottled on Monday and tonight(friday) the beer I opened was carbonated fairly nicely.

Should I be happy? worried?

Also a second thing about my newly bottled beer it they all have sediment at the bottom probably 2-4 mm thick. Is that cool? Some of it seems to be slightly chunky too.

ah about 70 should be finr for an ale, and the stuff on teh bottom is call bottle conditioning, dont worry its normal i freaked out to when i saw it for the first time. when i saw it i was aboutto throw a whole batch way. well good luck on your brews and cheers

I used to think the yeast layer was undissolved sugar, and daily I would shake the bottles... bad bad plan. Great how much experience you gain with each batch :)

With subsequent batches I kept the bottles under the stairs for a week, and then moved them to the garage. Meant that they were perfectly cold 2 weeks later when I cracked them open :mug:

Latest posts

Back