American Amber Ale Caramel Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KingBrian,

I'm thinking about making this recipe and have read the candi syrup thread, but I don't DAP, I have Wyeat Yeast Nutrient http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_productdetail.cfm?ProductID=15. Do you think that would work? Also, how long have you kept that candi syrup in a container before you've used it?

Yeast nutrient won't work, you need DAP. Yeast nutrient has a lot of yeast and stuff in it that would probably burn and turn the syrup weird. DAP is cheap though so just put it in your next order. I've kept the syrup for up to a week before using, but sometimes I make extra to use on ice cream or whatever and it keeps indefinitely. I know some people get crystalization, but mine always stays a syrup and doesn't go bad. The sugar content is so high that no baddies can grow in it. And for this recipe, it gets boiled anyway, so there wouldn't be a problem even if it did have some spores or something in it.

I think using that method, you'll end up with an inverted sugar caramel rather than a candi syrup, but it may still taste good. The nitrogen in the DAP is necessary to facilitate the maillard reactions that create the flavors of candi syrup. If you make the sugar using that link be sure to let me know how it comes out!

Will do!

Nice, be sure to report back. I let it go a month in primary then racked to secondary with some gelatin and left it there for a week before kegging.

King B, question on gelatin. I've never used it before..how do you use it?

Do you dump the dry gelatin in the bottom of the secondary then rack or do you rack then dump in the gelatin? Do you shake, stir, etc to mix in the gelatin with the wort?

Today is day 30 in the primary so it's time for a week in 2ndary!

Excited about this one!

Jeff

King B, question on gelatin. I've never used it before..how do you use it?

Do you dump the dry gelatin in the bottom of the secondary then rack or do you rack then dump in the gelatin? Do you shake, stir, etc to mix in the gelatin with the wort?

Today is day 30 in the primary so it's time for a week in 2ndary!

Excited about this one!

Jeff

The way I do it is to put about a cup of filtered water in a clean small pot then sprinkle the packet of gelatin on top. cover and let it sit to rehydrate for 30 minutes to an hour. Then slowly bring it up to about 170 degrees F on the stove. At that point it should be pretty well dissolved and sanitized. While still hot add it to secondary. I always dump it in about halfway through the transfer to secondary. That way the hot gelatin mixture doesn't contact the glass or plastic of the carboy but there is still enough beer being transferred to mix it up. It works well at room temp but even better at colder temps.

Thanks KingB. Transferred to 2ndary smoothly with the gelatin last night.

Waiting game for another week now!

jeff

Hey King, where do you get your grain? I use Austin Homebrew Supply but their grains are slightly off (crystal 75 or 90 where you call for 80, and they have brewers 2-row AND pale ale malt and I'm not sure which one you mean).

Hey King, where do you get your grain? I use Austin Homebrew Supply but their grains are slightly off (crystal 75 or 90 where you call for 80, and they have brewers 2-row AND pale ale malt and I'm not sure which one you mean).

My base grains are usually from local group buys and my specialty grains from either brewmaster's warehouse or my local homebrew store. Crystal 75 should make a fine substitute for the 80 and either the brewers 2-row or pale ale malt will work fine. The pale ale malt might have a bit more flavor.

I am finally getting my order delivered tomorrow. I'm gonna brew this puppy up this weekend. I have been dying to make this dang recipe!

I whipped up batch number 2 last Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Wife said it's to remain on tap... she usually gets what she wants.:D

Yeah, they really add some good flavor to the beer. How'd the beer come out? Did the darker syrup turn out alright in the flavor?

The carmel flavor (or burnt flavors) didn't really come through. I think the change in hops (cascade instead) overwhelmed the flavor of the carmel and it may be because I only used half of amount that the recipe called for, and even less made it into the syrup since there was still a bunch stuck in the bottom of the pot.

Definitely still my best AG beer to date and will be trying it again.

Ok, if I get my grains in time to get them crushed, I am doing this one on friday.

Quick question, while it seems logical, I assume nothing as you know what assume means, but this would be the recipe for the caramel correct?

1lb sugar
1/2 cup water
1.25 tsp DAP
3/6 cup water

Yeast nutrient won't work, you need DAP. Yeast nutrient has a lot of yeast and stuff in it that would probably burn and turn the syrup weird. DAP is cheap though so just put it in your next order. I've kept the syrup for up to a week before using, but sometimes I make extra to use on ice cream or whatever and it keeps indefinitely. I know some people get crystalization, but mine always stays a syrup and doesn't go bad. The sugar content is so high that no baddies can grow in it. And for this recipe, it gets boiled anyway, so there wouldn't be a problem even if it did have some spores or something in it.

Ok, one more quick question, i purchased L.D. Carlson Yeast Nutrient, and the label says it contains food grade urea and di-ammonium phosphate as the two ingredients, will this one work?

http://www.randbswinesupply.com/servlet/the-74/diammonium-phosphate/Detail

Ok, if I get my grains in time to get them crushed, I am doing this one on friday.

Quick question, while it seems logical, I assume nothing as you know what assume means, but this would be the recipe for the caramel correct?

1lb sugar
1/2 cup water
1.25 tsp DAP
3/6 cup water

Right except for the seconda water addition. 3/6 is 1/2 and you need 3/4. You probably meant to type that but I'm just confirming.

Ok, one more quick question, i purchased L.D. Carlson Yeast Nutrient, and the label says it contains food grade urea and di-ammonium phosphate as the two ingredients, will this one work?

http://www.randbswinesupply.com/servlet/the-74/diammonium-phosphate/Detail

That will probably work. As long as it doesnt have yeast hulls and stuff in it which it appears it doesn't.

Well, batch #2 came out a bit low on OG due to a really low boil off rate, but I ended up with an OG of 1.043. No big deal, I just figure it'll be a bit lighter and not have quite the ABV. I had a few hickups that day with the syrup and I ended up mashing for 30 to 45 minutes longer than planned while getting the syrup made. I didn't think it would matter, but I checked my gravity yesterday with my refractometer (almost 3 weeks in), and it showed 1.002 (used WLP001 w/ starter). I figured it was off or I calculated wrong, but my hydrometer confirmed the reading :(

Now I've never had anything dry out past about 1.008, so I don't know how alarmed I should be. I couldn't tell much from the hydro sample, since they always seem way thin and watered down to me prior to carbonation. Should I be considering some sort of addition to add some body/sweetness back, or just RDWHAHB?

Well, batch #2 came out a bit low on OG due to a really low boil off rate, but I ended up with an OG of 1.043. No big deal, I just figure it'll be a bit lighter and not have quite the ABV. I had a few hickups that day with the syrup and I ended up mashing for 30 to 45 minutes longer than planned while getting the syrup made. I didn't think it would matter, but I checked my gravity yesterday with my refractometer (almost 3 weeks in), and it showed 1.002 (used WLP001 w/ starter). I figured it was off or I calculated wrong, but my hydrometer confirmed the reading :(

Now I've never had anything dry out past about 1.008, so I don't know how alarmed I should be. I couldn't tell much from the hydro sample, since they always seem way thin and watered down to me prior to carbonation. Should I be considering some sort of addition to add some body/sweetness back, or just RDWHAHB?

Wow, even with the long mash and low OG I wouldn't think it could ferment down that low with the 1.5 lbs of crystal in the recipe. If it were me I would probably leave it as is. It's probably going to be good but drier and thinner bodied than planned. If you really wanted fix the body and sweetness you could add a half pound each of lactose and maltodextrine. That should give it body and a bit of sweetness to bring the maltiness back around. Let us know how it goes.

Wow, even with the long mash and low OG I wouldn't think it could ferment down that low with the 1.5 lbs of crystal in the recipe. If it were me I would probably leave it as is. It's probably going to be good but drier and thinner bodied than planned. If you really wanted fix the body and sweetness you could add a half pound each of lactose and maltodextrine. That should give it body and a bit of sweetness to bring the maltiness back around. Let us know how it goes.

I'll probably hold off until after it's carbed and tested before I try the lactose/MaltD route? I tried adding lactose once to a stout after it had been crash cooled and racked to a keg. It never mixed in worth a flip and I had a thick layer of lactose sediment for the first gallon or more I pulled from the tap. Makes me kinda nervous about trying it again.

could someone post a pic of what the caramel should look like, cuz I made this on friday and I don't believe mine was correct. Mine looked yellow/tan not amber.

could someone post a pic of what the caramel should look like, cuz I made this on friday and I don't believe mine was correct. Mine looked yellow/tan not amber.

Here's a picture posted in the candi syrup thread:

Here's a pic of the color stages.

IMG_2100.jpg

Wow, even with the long mash and low OG I wouldn't think it could ferment down that low with the 1.5 lbs of crystal in the recipe.

This has been bothering me for the last couple days. Just to be sure there wasn't an equipment issue, I put my prong thermometer next to my thermostat for the last day or so. House stat shows 71, beer thermo shows... 80. I read that if calibrating in ice water, it should get right around 32F, mine... 44F. I'm afraid this means I was probably not really mashing my grain a 154 like I thought. :(

If anyone's looking for a good way to achieve ridiculously high attenuation, I recommend mashing around 143 for about an hour and 45 minutes. :eek:

Note to carrotmalt: Cheap thermometers are... CHEAP!

This has been bothering me for the last couple days. Just to be sure there wasn't an equipment issue, I put my prong thermometer next to my thermostat for the last day or so. House stat shows 71, beer thermo shows... 80. I read that if calibrating in ice water, it should get right around 32F, mine... 44F. I'm afraid this means I was probably not really mashing my grain a 154 like I thought. :(

If anyone's looking for a good way to achieve ridiculously high attenuation, I recommend mashing around 143 for about an hour and 45 minutes. :eek:

Don't feel bad, you are not alone. I went through the exact same thing several months ago. I now use 2 thermometers while brewing and constantly check one against the other.

:off: a bit, but if you want to calibrate your thermometer, dip it into a pot of boiling water and turn the nut on the back side until it registers 212*.

Ok King B,
I FINALLY got around to making the candy syrup tonight. At 290 it is very dark and runny, not like syrup at all. Did I somehow mess this up? It tastes good, it's just darker than I expected and thinner than maple syrup.

Brewing this one tonight....thanks for the recipe Brian :)

I figured I can't let my brews keep running the porter/stout/IPA routine....gotta mix it up a little bit :D

Would you suggest this for a first time brewer? I love caramel flavored beers and have been researching for a while and feel moderately comfortable with the process, but you know better than I.

Would you suggest this for a first time brewer? I love caramel flavored beers and have been researching for a while and feel moderately comfortable with the process, but you know better than I.

I would think so. Getting the syrup took me a couple tries (because I can't follow instructions...haha) but the rest seems pretty straight forward.

How would pacman yeast do with this? Doing Yoopers DFH 60 this weekend and when that is done I would like to wash the yeast and pitch the pacman into it. Save some money as well. Can't wait to brew it. Going to do 10 gallons and give my new fermenter a run.

FINALLY, I got around to brewing this. I nailed all the numbers and so far, the wort tasted pretty dang good. I'm really looking forward to this one!

How would pacman yeast do with this? Doing Yoopers DFH 60 this weekend and when that is done I would like to wash the yeast and pitch the pacman into it. Save some money as well. Can't wait to brew it. Going to do 10 gallons and give my new fermenter a run.

A clean attenuative yeast like pacman should work great for this recipe.

Another thought on yeast question... sorry.

My brother bought me some WL036 dusseldorf yeast that is sitting in the fridge. I am planning on brewing this beer this weekend, b/c it has really piqued my interest. My first thought is that this yeast might work well, but I can find little info on it. Thoughts?

I'm happy to buy S-05 if that seems better. Thanks.

Another thought on yeast question... sorry.

My brother bought me some WL036 dusseldorf yeast that is sitting in the fridge. I am planning on brewing this beer this weekend, b/c it has really piqued my interest. My first thought is that this yeast might work well, but I can find little info on it. Thoughts?

I'm happy to buy S-05 if that seems better. Thanks.

An alt yeast sounds like a very good candidate for this recipe. Give it a try and let us know how it turns out!

An alt yeast sounds like a very good candidate for this recipe. Give it a try and let us know how it turns out!

Will do. I only hesitate, b/c I have never tried the base recipe. I will have no control to compare it to... not that its a deal killer. I'll check back in soon.

crap, just realized my thermometer only goes to 220 and it's already cooking. i'm going to have to do this one blind. can anyone estimate how long it took to get to 290? is the color set at 290 or does it change when you get it down to 240? Anyone?

crap, just realized my thermometer only goes to 220 and it's already cooking. i'm going to have to do this one blind. can anyone estimate how long it took to get to 290? is the color set at 290 or does it change when you get it down to 240? Anyone?

This is going to be rough. you can look at color.... see the chart, but it will be sort of sketch.. at best.

You need a candy/deep fry thermometer.

Back