Thermometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MmmBrew

Reaction score
Is there a thermometer that will make brewing easier? I have a floating one and am getting equipment together to start all-grain brewing. Since temp is so important and there are so many different types out there, I was wondering if there is a certain one or type that lends itself to brewing?

My wife just bought me this thermometer for Xmas. I plan on using it to get more accurate readings of my strike and sparge liquors. I used to use a floating or simple lab thermometer, I'm hoping this one makes things easier. Also, I have a Maverick ET-73 dual probe digital thermometer that I plan on incorporating into my MLT, similar to what ThePol has done (using a circle saw to drill a whole, then plug it with a rubber stopper and insert probes through stopper).

Yes! Get a Thermapen - you won't regret it. Waterproof, accurate to the degree, easy to use but not cheap. Montanaandy

Is there a thermometer that will make brewing easier? I have a floating one and am getting equipment together to start all-grain brewing. Since temp is so important and there are so many different types out there, I was wondering if there is a certain one or type that lends itself to brewing?

It depends on your preferences. I like to use digital thermometers because they are more convenient (and durable).

I read about this one in another thread earlier today. It look very good and more important, it is traceable to a standard (NIST-traceable certificate). That means, it is calibrated and the reading will be close to target.

http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=8646003

if you want to go the extra mile. You can combine it with one of this thermowells. Just insert the thermocouple until bottom out then seal with a dap of RTV or silicone. Then shrinking tube to complete the packaging.

This is my set up on the MLT lid.
TC_Probe.jpg

Or you can buy one of this (excellent price for a probe!):

http://www.suntekstore.com/K-Type-Thermocouple-Probe-Digital-Thermometer-300-C.html

Cheers! :tank:

Back