Ill effects of FWH??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjibbad

Reaction score
I had to split my brewday due to being called into work. I collected my wort and added my hops for the FWH when I got the call to come in. Now I have the wort sitting in a carboy waiting for the boil. Everything was sanitary. so no infection worries, but will leaving my hops in there for too long provide an ill effects or will it essentially be a dry hop? The beer is an IIPA, OG Preboil was 1.048 for 7 gallons and I am adding 3 lbs of Light DME for a late addition. Hops were Whole leaf Amarillo 9.5%

I've left my wort for 6 hours before starting the boil with no problems. The FWH is more like a flavor addition, so you should be really happy with the amarillo for the IIPA. Just don't let it hang around very long at a temp too low before starting the boil. My rule is: mash/sparge/collect in the afternoon, have dinner with the fam, kids go to bed, start the boil. Success every time.

Start the boil as soon as your shift is over and you will be fine! I have read that leaving it overnight f**ks it up, but have never done so I don't know.

Its not the hops you need to be worried about, it's lactobacillus and other bacteria that could give you a sour wort, though that takes a few days. Did you at least boil after collecting?

I didn't boil after collecting I just didn't have time. When the general needs someone and I get called it's a bad day all around. The wort is currently sitting in a temp controled room in a clean sanitized carboy with the plug in and airlock on. Completely sealed. I used some campden on this one so I am not too worried about it. I just don't know if the hops are really going to screw with it if I have to leave it for more than 24 hours.

It shouldnt really affect it. Id be more worried about not boiling it really.

FWH takes advantag of the time the wort is sitting at about 150F and the hops get to stew in there. This is when the magic happens. I dont think you will have a problem with it, but this is definately not an ideal situation.

How hot was this stuff when it went to the carboy? Glass?

As long as you boil it before a week is up you should get some serious hop utilization of your FWHs that should come out tasting very nice!

As mentioned, the bigger issue is all that lactobacillus in the wort. Even though everything was clean...it's in there.

And FWIW, my default line when I accidentally answer the phone and it's the boss wanting me to come in; "Sorry sir, I've had a couple of beers.":ban:

I've left my wort for 6 hours before starting the boil with no problems. The FWH is more like a flavor addition, so you should be really happy with the amarillo for the IIPA. Just don't let it hang around very long at a temp too low before starting the boil. My rule is: mash/sparge/collect in the afternoon, have dinner with the fam, kids go to bed, start the boil. Success every time. QUOTE]

FWH is like a flavor addition? In the specific terms of flavor no. I guess some software treats the utlization as such if that is what you are referring to. It is "supposed" to provide smoother bittering, whatever that means. Of course I can only suppose, since I have tried it both ways and well it did nothing that I noticed. The science around it, to me anyway, isn't really sound- lots of observations.

Corboy/bottleing bucket in this event they are one in the same. The wort was about 130 when I took the hydro sample. I went to start the boil today and lo and behold I'm out of propane Crap!! Spanish, as much as I would love to use that excuse when you are supposed to be on call and not drinking and the J2 calls you directly on you cell telling you to get in...saying I have had a few beers is not in the best interest of your career. Esspecially when you are trying to get him to recommend you for warrant officer. :)

Corboy/bottleing bucket in this event they are one in the same. The wort was about 130 when I took the hydro sample. I went to start the boil today and lo and behold I'm out of propane Crap!! Spanish, as much as I would love to use that excuse when you are supposed to be on call and not drinking and the J2 calls you directly on you cell telling you to get in...saying I have had a few beers is not in the best interest of your career. Esspecially when you are trying to get him to recommend you for warrant officer. :)
Ah...didn't know you were 'on call'...that's different. Please report back after you taste the final product...I'd be interested if you can taste the extended FWH.

Boiled today and I got a huge whiff of hops when I opened the bucket. It was great Boil and chilling went off without a hitch, save one. How do you account for hop wort absorbion?? I started with 7 gal pre boil and after I was done ended up with 4. I used 10 oz of whole leaf hops throughout the process normally I end up with closer to 5.5 gallons. Anyway I hit my OG pretty close (target 1.090 acctual 1.085) so I am looking forward to this one. I will keep you guys updated

Thats is good to hear I once left a mash overnight, due to excessive drinking with my neighbor. Boy Oh Boy did it smell sour and bad the next day. Still made a great beer.

Its not the hops you need to be worried about, it's lactobacillus and other bacteria that could give you a sour wort, though that takes a few days. Did you at least boil after collecting?

this is just wrong it sparge temps will not slow funk! the next time you do an all grain batch just leave then grain in the mash tund over night the next day it will be a sour mess.
it does not take days the grain is coverd in bactera.

last tuesday night i did an all grain 10gal batch had to work late did not get started till 7:30. at 1:30 am when i loaded the carboys in to the cooler i left them mess and hit the hay. the next day after my 10 hr shift when i got home at 6:00 i could hear the mash grain bubbling in the bottom and the whole thing was sour and yucky.

as for the hops it will not mess with it at all it will be just like you added them for bittering
and the flavor and aroma will be boiled off that is why we add them later it takes 60 min to exstract alfa acids , 20 min peak for flavor and 10 for aroma , any more time than that and the volatile compaounds that make up flavor and aroma will boil off.

I figure on 12 oz. of wort being absorbed for every oz. of whole hops I use. That seems to be pretty accurate.

so yeah I guess it is. 10 oz hops 120 oz absorbtion. would have left me with just under a gallon short. Damn I need a bigger brew pot!!

I think I may switch back to pellets for my IPAs becuse this was kinda crazy. But then again I got 1lb amarillo whole leaf for 22 dollars so most of it is used up in this last brew. What to do with another 6 oz hops?? Salad??

I think I may switch back to pellets for my IPAs becuse this was kinda crazy. But then again I got 1lb amarillo whole leaf for 22 dollars so most of it is used up in this last brew. What to do with another 6 oz hops?? Salad??

Pillow.................

I believe it was one of the craftbrewers in a brew magazine article that said that for FWH they preferred pellet because they dissolved quicker and don't really need any agitation to get them incorporated into the wort. The flow into my kettle is so slow that I don't really get much of a whirlpool or very good contact with whole leaf unless I manually agitate the wort or hops.

Just this past weekend I tried it with pellet and it was a little easier...we'll see how the final product comes out in a couple months.

I think I may be migrating to hopping bassackwards than many; pellet for FWH and aroma additions and whole leaf for bittering.:drunk:

Back