the tartness in a saison -- where does it come from?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBlagojevich

Reaction score
I once made a saison with yeast cultured from a bottle of saison dupont. It was amazing. But it lacked the subtle sourness I like so much in a saison. How do you get it to come out a little more tart? I don't think there are any lactobacilli in that beer.

Should try some acid malt?
Is there a particular fermentation temperature that accentuates tartness?

Yes and Yes. The use of some acidulated malt will add that sharpness you are perceiving as sourness and there are yeasts that add a bit of acidity such as the Bastogne strain.

There are few beers better than a good saison with some acidity.

how much acidulated malt are we talking about? I'm guessing I could steep 4 to 6 oz or so?

You should try a sour mash, they are super fun...it's like a mini brew day a couple days before the real brew day!

the sour mash is indeed fun but not the "sourness" that he is looking for. I would say in 5 gallons give 6 oz a try and see how you like it. That is roughly what I used in a batch that is still fermenting.

cool, can't wait to try it.

that bastogne yeast strain sounds good, too... maybe I'll get some since it's june!

Because that is an actual souring of the grain due to a form of lactobacillus. What he is preceiving as sourness is an acidity given off by the yeast or in this case a small % of acidulated malt. It adds a "sharpness" that can be described as sour but technically is not.

Because that is an actual souring of the grain due to a form of lactobacillus. What he is preceiving as sourness is an acidity given off by the yeast or in this case a small % of acidulated malt. It adds a "sharpness" that can be described as sour but technically is not.
I have gotten very good results by sour mashing only a small portion of the mash to acheive this. I think the acidity that the l. bacillus adds can be wonderful in a saison as long as it is restrained.

I have gotten very good results by sour mashing only a small portion of the mash to acheive this. I think the acidity that the l. bacillus adds can be wonderful in a saison as long as it is restrained.

I am not doubting that and I have a friend who has made several beers with great results souring the mash but the OP specifically pointed out Saison Dupont which is not soured with lacto.

Ok, so: I wasn't able to get acidulated malt at the homebrew store, but I did a little research that indicated that acidulated malt is basically a pilsner malt that's sprayed with lactic acid. The store had some lactic acid, so I added that to the boil (5 milliliters). Anybody had experience with lactic acid?

---------------------------
Here was my recipe:
steep:
4 oz belgian aromatic
2 oz belgian caramunich

boil for 60 min (4 gallons):
5 lb extra-light DME
.5 oz simcoe @12% AA
5 milliliters lactic acid

at 15 min til flameout:
2.5 lb table sugar
1 lb extra-light DME
.25 oz simcoe
1 tsp irish moss

at 5 min til flameout:
.25 oz simcoe

OG turned out to be 1.075
FG should be 1.016 or lower... to turn out 8% ABV.

You can certainly add lactic acid to taste. I don't know how much.... I had a half batch of Berliner Weiss I tried to sour with grain that didn't get sour enough I'll be adding acid to when I put it on tap this week. I'm going to start with 1Tbsp and taste, I suspect it will take a fair amount.

Back