Screwy regulator? Wrong gas? Overfill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orthobrewsky

Reaction score
I got my 5# CO2 cylinder filled this morning. When I got back and hooked it up to the regulator, it read about 1600 psi. The tank still felt cold from filling; it had been 45 minutes or so, but it had been packed for safety in motorcycle luggage and, thus, insulated. Also, it was 7.2# heavier than when empty.

Should I be concerned about anything? My regulator had read 550 or so until the CO2 started running out. It read less than 1000 at room temp the first time I filled it.

It's okay, I got it figured out. An overfill can result in high pressure; I'm just glad it wasn't filled even more and that it didn't heat up. I bled off a little at the advice of the gas store guy, but the psi had decreased to about 1000 after being chilled. It was hard to let go of some CO2, but the regulator adjustment was acting spongy at the high pressure and the relief valve could possibly have blown if we had a power failure or something and it heated up.

It is. Some young fellow said they only did exchanges. They refill yours or exchange it? What did they charge? Also, thanks for the water report. BTW, I'm brewing a German Lager today.

I got a refill about a month ago. I think it was 12 dollars; it was 10 the previous time.

German lager sounds good. Pilsner perhaps? I brewed my favorite stout last week. I'm pondering my first Kolsch in the near future. I still need to get your expert opinion on some brews if you can make it over here sometime.

Back