Quick Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodRatsBrew

Reaction score
Is there a 1 to 1 substitution for DME and LME? For example if I was to use 6.6 lbs of LME would I use 6.6 of DME if I did not have the LME? Always wondered...

It's useful if you find that you often buy your extract per recipe. Say the recipe calls for 7lbs of pale malt LME... LME generally comes in 3.3lb cans. SO, you would need to buy 3 cans (9.9lbs) to get the 7lbs. Then you are either storing or tossing the remaining 2.9lbs. Alternatively, you could buy 2 cans, 6.6lbs, and a 1lb bag of DME and use about 5oz of the DME with the two cans to obtain the gravity of 7lbs of LME.

It's useful if you find that you often buy your extract per recipe. Say the recipe calls for 7lbs of pale malt LME... LME generally comes in 3.3lb cans. SO, you would need to buy 3 cans (9.9lbs) to get the 7lbs. Then you are either storing or tossing the remaining 2.9lbs. Alternatively, you could buy 2 cans, 6.6lbs, and a 1lb bag of DME and use about 5oz of the DME with the two cans to obtain the gravity of 7lbs of LME.

most LHBS stores (at least in my area) just sells it in bulk. you bring in a container and they measure out as much or as little as you need from a big dispensary

most LHBS stores (at least in my area) just sells it in bulk. you bring in a container and they measure out as much or as little as you need from a big dispensary

Most? No. Some yes, some no. Depends on your hbs. I have one fairly close by that does and one right down the street that doesn't.

Most? No. Some yes, some no. Depends on your hbs. I have one fairly close by that does and one right down the street that doesn't.

True, it depends on your area as well. I live in rural Maine, it only comes in cans. Nobody around here does enough business to sell enough bulk LME for it not to go stale.

yeah, I was just saying Most in MY AREA do. don't know about other places.

Fwiw I will always err on the side of too much DME ( as opposed to too much LME) because then I can keep the excess around for yeast starters. That only applies if it's a light malt though.

Back