3 chamber fermentation chamber question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhuarc

Reaction score
Looking at all the fermentation chamber builds here the one things that seems to be missing is the ability to control the temp of more than one brew at different temps.

What I was thinking is do 3 chambers, with a temp controller hooked to a fan for each chamber after the fridge. The first chamber temp controller would be hooked directly to the fridge not a fan. The way this would work is that you would keep your coldest fermenting brew in the first chamber. Then the second coldest, then the warmest. Each chamber would be insulated with only a fan to move cool air from the previous chamber.

This way when chamber 2 needs to be cooled you would move air from the coldest chamber into the 2nd chamber. This would obviously result in a slight drop in the first chamber, so the fridge would turn on to keep that first chamber cold. The 3rd chamber would work the same way, drawing its cool air from the 2nd chamber.

This way you could have 2 different fermentation temps using 1 fridge, 3 temp controllers, and 2 fans. I have thought a lot about this and think it would work, but am open to any input others may have.

I'm trying to think of the simplest build possible...I like the design of yours though! Definitely outside what I am looking to do though. I'm thinking more of using a small dorm fridge, with a chamber just tall enough for a 6gal bucket fermenter, and wide enough to have 3 chambers. Probably 4 feet long or so, not including the fridge.

I'm trying to think of the simplest build possible...I like the design of yours though! Definitely outside what I am looking to do though. I'm thinking more of using a small dorm fridge, with a chamber just tall enough for a 6gal bucket fermenter, and wide enough to have 3 chambers. Probably 4 feet long or so, not including the fridge.

Thanks! I think that might work, especially since it's going to be so small. Are you thinking about making long or shaped like a T?

I am thinking of making it long. So starting left to right:

fridge - chamber 1 - fan - chamber 2 - fan - chamber 3

attached to the fridge is the temp controller for chamber 1
temp controller 2 and 3 are attached to the 2 fans.

the left chamber is the coolest, the right chamber is the warmest. This setup makes sense logically, realistically maybe it won't work like i envision it. obviously this would only work if I am needing to keep things cool, not warm things up. although I could add a bulb to the last chamber and that would be the only heated chamber. This way if I needed to keep it warmer the fan would not turn on in that chamber, only the bulb would turn on.

the left chamber is the coolest, the right chamber is the warmest. This setup makes sense logically, realistically maybe it won't work like i envision it. obviously this would only work if I am needing to keep things cool, not warm things up. although I could add a bulb to the last chamber and that would be the only heated chamber. This way if I needed to keep it warmer the fan would not turn on in that chamber, only the bulb would turn on.

Maybe you could metal duct work to bring the cool air to the furthest chambers? Also, if you get the dual stage temperature controllers like I used you could use the temperature controllers to control heat for each chamber as well. I would use a heating pad of some sort. Just be sure to attach the temperature probes to the fermenters so you aren't adjusting for the ambient temp, but for the temp of the beer.

I have envisioned the same set-up for my fermentation chamber. It is a way down the list of things to do, so I am interested to see how your's turns out.

It will probably be awhile until I actually get around this. They are renovating our apt, and we are being forced to move out for 30 days before we can be back in for a year. Once we move back in I will probably try to start working on this.

Back