American Porter 40 point Robust Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enohcs

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
White Labs California Ale
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
2 vials
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7days @ 68f
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14days @ 68f
Additional Fermentation
7 days keg conditioned while force carbed
Tasting Notes
4 judges give it 40+ points, you know it's good.
Mash at 152 for 60min. I had 70%eff
American Rahr (2 row) Pale: 9.30lbs
Light Munich 1.50lbs
Crystal 60 1.40lbs
Chocolate 0.80lbs
Black Patent 0.60lbs

Northern Brewer (Pellet) 1.0oz 60min
Cascade (Pellet) 1.0oz 30min
Cascade (Pellet) 0.5oz 10min
Cascade (Pellet) 0.5oz At flame out

This took silver at both Blues N Brews and the Colorado State Fair. The porters that won gold must have been damn good as this is probably one of the most tasty beers I have ever made.

If you brew, let me know how it comes out.

I'll have to try this one when my hops from the lottery come in. Never used cascades in a porter, might be interesting.

Judging from the grain bill, it looks to be 5 gallons. I would also like to know the og/fg as well.

Damoxemus said:
Judging from the grain bill, it looks to be 5 gallons. I would also like to know the og/fg as well.

Also, what yeast did you use?

So, I did this on the weekend, but changed a few things -

10lbs. of Canadian Pale
1lbs. of Chocolate (350l)
1lbs of Munich
1lbs of Crystal 60

Mashed for 60 minutes at 154F. Got about 65% efficiency (OG 1.064)

1oz of Northern Brewer @ 60
1oz Cascade @ 30
1oz Cascade @ 5

I upped the Cascade amounts as they're about a year old (stored sealed in freezer).

Pitched a WLP001, sitting at 18.4*C (65*F) and that airlock is going crazy. Once it calms a bit I'll bump it to 67-68F.

Smelled great, looking forward to seeing how this turns out (my first porter and first AG).

Thanks for the recipe enohcs!

So, at the risk of jacking this thread I thought I'd just update how my beer is going.

It's been 14 days and it's down to 1.010. I tasted the sample and it's bangin'! A little hoppier than I thought but once it's kegged and sits a bit I imagine that will dissipate. I was planning on adding maple syrup to the keg but I think I might just let it stand as is because it's a really good Porter.

I fermented at 65F (18.5) for the first few days, ramping it up from day 6 to day 14 (about .5*C every couple days) and right now it's sitting at 21*C (about 70F).

How did the porter turn out? I am looking for a good complex robust porter recipe.

Thanks, T

It turned out really well. There's a slight "spice" to it that I am not sure is supposed to be there but that I do enjoy. It could be from using older hops but I am not sure. For my first time AG session I am quite happy with it.

40Porter.jpg

I'm drinking the Bee Cave Brewery Robust Porter, Ed Wort's recipe and to me, it's "ok". Kinda disappointed, but I'll drink it. In the mean time I'm thinkin about doing a 1 gallon batch of this to compare. The reason for this post was because I'm going to brew your AIPA for the 4th time and was checking out your other recipes. I see you don't have flaked barley in the recipe. Should I add some? Or just leave well enough alone?

Brewed it this past weekend. Rolling along in the basement but bumped my mash temps up to 157* for a more full mouthfeel.
I will update on the results but so far this smells fantastic!

Back