March pump quick connect question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lind13

Reaction score
So i just got a pump from a buddy with hoses and quick connects already attached, waiting for the males that connect to my keggles. My question is that i believe they are 3/8in would it be a good idea to get 1/2in? Or am i fine with 3/8? I am planning to recirculate my mash in the tun (Im planning to try direct heat because i do not understand using a heating coil or whatever, If someone wants to seriously tell me how i would love it, the posts ive read confuse me) Will 3/8 transfer to slowly? will i just need to up my strike water temp to compensate for slow transfer?

1/2 on the input definitely. I would suggest them on the output too. 1/2 Camlocks are fairly cheap. Just be careful, the barbs on the cams will restrict you to 3/8 again. I used the cams with screw and put them directly in the silicon hose or used a street elbow. Bobby M has a good tutorial around here. Also, what is your dip tube, is it 3/8's?

I recommend Colder HFC35 series disconnects. They will not restrict your flow and support the larger tubing sizes.

The dip tube in my mash tun is quite small, i am uncertain about the exact size, i will have to check when i can and get back to you. So i should just order all new connects? That are all 1/2 in?

The thread from the march pump guy says to use 1/2 for the whole system to keep from dry running the pump for a recirculated mash look at a rims setup there is a great thread called rims for dummies that lays it out in simple terms a rims tube is my next upgrade

So i looked at the bobby M thread. . . The coupling size is 3/8. Which is what i have.

So i looked at the bobby M thread. . . The coupling size is 3/8. Which is what i have.

Um no, he uses 1/2" type B quick disconnects with street elbows. This keeps the largest ID around 1/2". If you use the barb type QD it restricts it to about he 3/8" size. This is why the street elbow and type B fitting is used. Check out his youtube video:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/user/BobbyFromNJ#p/u/7/U_vzNDM9S5Q"]http://www.youtube.com/user/BobbyFromNJ#p/u/7/U_vzNDM9S5Q[/ame]

Back