Advice for All-Electric CIP (post-brew)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makisupa

Reaction score
I'm interested in how others are cleaning their electric brew rigs after they brew. I ask because I feel as though my current cleaning procedure is very lengthy. Here's what I do:

• While the boil is going on dispose of the spent grains and give a quick rinse to the mash tun
• I use an immersion chiller in the BK so my "first runnings" from the chiller water go directly into the mash tun (10-gal) and then the next "runnings" I place in the HLT (10-gal). This leave me with 20-gal of 100-deg water to clean with
• After the kettle empties, I pump my warm water from the mash tun into the BK and apply OxiClean
• I recycle the OxiClean water in the BK for 5-10 min.
• I dump that water and pump the fresh water from the HLT into the BK and rinse with that

Is that really all I can do? It's not exactly as quick as it sounds.

I'm interested in how others are cleaning their electric brew rigs after they brew. I ask because I feel as though my current cleaning procedure is very lengthy. Here's what I do:

• While the boil is going on dispose of the spent grains and give a quick rinse to the mash tun
• I use an immersion chiller in the BK so my "first runnings" from the chiller water go directly into the mash tun (10-gal) and then the next "runnings" I place in the HLT (10-gal). This leave me with 20-gal of 100-deg water to clean with
• After the kettle empties, I pump my warm water from the mash tun into the BK and apply OxiClean
• I recycle the OxiClean water in the BK for 5-10 min.
• I dump that water and pump the fresh water from the HLT into the BK and rinse with that

Is that really all I can do? It's not exactly as quick as it sounds.

yeah, that sounds about right. Good plan

While your boil is going you have cleaned everything but the BK. Can't really get much faster than that. Sounds like 15 minutes after being empty you are finished. I wish I could get done that fast.

@samnc
Yeah. Maybe I'm just being impatient.

@magnj
Uh oh. My kettles are aluminum also. Am I not to use OxiClean on them?

@samnc
Yeah. Maybe I'm just being impatient.

@magnj
Uh oh. My kettles are aluminum also. Am I not to use OxiClean on them?

Ummm, yeah no oxygen or acid based cleaners on Aluminum. Just some elbow grease! BUT, if it works for you who am I to argue...

Well, the good news is that the Oxy recirculates for a short time and never soaks. I'm going to boil some water in my kettle just to be safe. Any recommendation for a replacement cleaner? PBW perhaps? I guess I could use mild dish soap, too.

I could probably forgo the entire recirc/CIP process on the kettle, however, I feel the need to clean my pump and hose lines. I wonder how soap residue would play in there?

Your mash should be relatively acidic and metal surface should be pretty clean after a quick rinse. I find I don't have to do much more than rinse out the mash tun and maybe hit it with a little blue kitchen scrubby only very briefly.

I am sure you are not hurting anything, but if you're dumping grains, do you really need to CIP the MT?

Your mash should be relatively acidic and metal surface should be pretty clean after a quick rinse. I find I don't have to do much more than rinse out the mash tun and maybe hit it with a little blue kitchen scrubby only very briefly.

I am sure you are not hurting anything, but if you're dumping grains, do you really need to CIP the MT?

First post states I quick rinse the MT and, later, use it to hold my cleaning water. Not much goes into cleaning the MT and HLT. Maybe the title of this thread should now read "CIP Procedures for Aluminum BK?"

Back