Smack Pack problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbaz

Reaction score
Let my pack wyeast 2112 sit in the fridge very cold near freezing for a few months unsmacked, 30hrs ago i smacked/shook it let it sit in room temp for 5 hours and no swell. Is it recked? did i kill it or is it just to old (10 months) I pitched it anyway, i will wait 72hrs than if no fermentation i will buy another and add it. How does this sound? fermenting at 15 degrees C, the lower end of recommended.

5 hours isn't long enough to let the pack swell as it is not quite fresh. You should have done a starter before pitching the smackpack as 1 old pack might not do the complete job a proper amount of yeast would do.
In the meantime, as long as the yeast wasn't completly frozen, it should still be good.

The ROT for a smack pack is one day for every month after manufacture. If yours was several months old, it wouldn't be surprising if it took several days to swell. OTOH, it doesn't need to swell before making a starter, which is what most of us do and recommend.

5 hours isn't long enough to let the pack swell as it is not quite fresh. You should have done a starter before pitching the smackpack as 1 old pack might not do the complete job a proper amount of yeast would do.
In the meantime, as long as the yeast wasn't completly frozen, it should still be good.

+1... 10 months is pretty old for a smack pack. You should still have some viable yeast in there but fewer then when its fresh and it'll take a bit longer to get the same results. In a fresh smack pack I've had the pack 1/4-1/2 swollen within 3 hours at 65 degrees - good sign. If you pitched it I'm guessing you still get results buts you'll have an extended lag time before you see much.

I would agree that 10 months is pushing things a bit. Next time you have an older smack pack use a starter with to ensure viability. I have pitched 6+ month old Wyeast with out any problem but I always make a larger starter (at least 2L). Montanaandy

well its over 72 hours almost 4 days, still nothing, im thinking of using another fresh smack pack, will it taste off using another or can i even use a different strain? whats the max time i should wait?

Back