Yeast Starter Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
I am brewing a 10 gallon Oatmeal Stout on Saturday and want make a yeast starter tonight. I know how to do it, but I have one White Labs Irish Ale 004.

If I use 3 cups DME and 2 pints water, will it fit in a litter bottle?

Can I split it between the liter bottle and a growler?

Will I make a yeast starter big enough for two 5 gallon buckets with what I have by Saturday night?

+1 on the Mr Malty. As far as time goes, I think it's more dependant on the aeration. Do you have a stir plate? If not, shake it as often as you can without an airlock. That will make more yeast faster. Then get a stir plate....

Mr. Malty says I could get away with 1 vial, but need to make a 3 L starter. So I am guessing 1.75 L container and a growler would work as long a I make a big starter. So what is the malt/water ratio on something that size?

No stir plate, but could shake every so often. First time making a starter and I already want to Build my own stir plate.

You want to keep your starter in the range of 1.030 to 1.040 OG. That's roughly 10 oz of DME in 3 liters.

I use these jugs for my starters (the 1-gal version), which work out great. They cost something like $6 filled with apple juice or cider. They take about a size 8.5 stopper if you want to use an airlock.

AppleJuice2004.jpg

Back