Base Malt(s) for Sweet Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaineriv

Reaction score
As many of you who read the new posts might have noticed, I'm preparing for my first AG batch in just a couple of weeks, and I wanted some input on a recipe I had in mind. One of my favorite past brews was an extract-based sweet stout that turned out better than Mackeson IMHO. The extract I used was just pale LME made from Klages. I figure there's always room for improvement, so for the AG batch, I wanted to use something other than domestic 2-row for the base. Price is not much of an issue for this batch, so I was considering using either Optic pale malt or Marris Otter, or even some combination of the two. I was also considering using Mild Ale malt to some extent. I'm going for about 8 lbs. total base malt. If anyone has any suggestions for the breakdown of the grain bill, I would greatly appreciate hearing them.

captaineriv

MHO is to go with the 2-row for a stout...I don't think you'll notice much difference with all the other grains you'll be adding. I've never used Optic, but MO is a lovely base in a pale ale. Seems to lend a slightly sweeter flavor with more body (which IMO would be lost in a stout).

You bring up a good point about all the specialty grains. Like I said, the extract brew I made turned out great with the cheaper, domestic LME. I was already leaning toward Optic moreso than the MO, but I'll probably give the domestic 2-row a shot based on what you said. Thanks for the advice.

captaineriv

Unless you are lactose intolerant, I'd also buy 1/2 pound of milk sugar and adjust the sweetness in the secondary. Most sweet stouts are milk stouts.

Back