What are your "can't live without" equipment items?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottling wand and autosiphon. My first bottling session ever didn't use these. There never was a second session without them. Also, I think my new propane burner will become one soon.

Thermapen (actually bought it for BBQ, use it more for brewing) and a powerful outdoor burner (I have an electric stove that sucks)

I just bought a refractometer, and although it's not like I'm going to throw out the hydrometer, I will probably next-to-never use it again. 3 drops of liquid vs several ounces needed to take a gravity reading, auto temperature correction, easier-to-read numbers. It's no contest.

Yeah, but the thief makes for a great sample! I'd still take a thief sample, at least for the first one, to see what my wort tastes like. After that, it would be nice to have the refractometer. I just can't justify the cost when I'm only on my 5th batch of beer. So I guess if you have a refractometer, you'll still want a thief if you want a good sized sample.

Yeah, but the thief makes for a great sample! I'd still take a thief sample, at least for the first one, to see what my wort tastes like. After that, it would be nice to have the refractometer. I just can't justify the cost when I'm only on my 5th batch of beer. So I guess if you have a refractometer, you'll still want a thief if you want a good sized sample.

I second that thought. My hydrometer just broke recently and I'm in the market for one or the other. I'm not entirely certain which one I want to get. Any suggestions on a good refractometer for not too much?

I second that thought. My hydrometer just broke recently and I'm in the market for one or the other. I'm not entirely certain which one I want to get. Any suggestions on a good refractometer for not too much?

I think almost all of the ones I've seen are the same. Most I've seen only have a Brix scale, and you need to be careful to get one that's in the range of beer. The only variation is that there are some multi-scale units that have Brix, balling, plato, gravity in some combination. Those are usually more expensive and might be harder to find. I have a unit that only does Brix, and I have a sheet of paper that does the conversion to gravity.

Keep in mind that refractometers aren't as exact later on, because they only take dissolved sugars into account, but when you're partially or fully through the fermentation, you will have some combination of alcohol and sugars. There are calculators that will do some best estimates, but the algorithms are polynomials that have been crafted to best suit some empirical data. At some point there's no getting around it, hydrometers will make a more accurate reading for late stages.

Keep in mind that refractometers aren't as exact later on, because they only take dissolved sugars into account, but when you're partially or fully through the fermentation, you will have some combination of alcohol and sugars. There are calculators that will do some best estimates, but the algorithms are polynomials that have been crafted to best suit some empirical data. At some point there's no getting around it, hydrometers will make a more accurate reading for late stages.

This is EXACTLY the advice I was looking for. Sounds like the hydrometer route is the way to go for me. I've got a sample taker from here that works quite well. Just another nice thing I'd rather not live without.

Autosiphon. I've had one for 3 years now and I still tell my wife its the best thing I ever bought, and she rolls her eyes. I can't believe I did this for years without one and always literally held my breath each time I needed to start a siphon.

2nd would be my Blichmann 10 gallon. 3rd would be carboy handles.

And the 4th thing I don't have yet, an outdoor high BTU burner.

A Refractometer is a good addition and invaluable from the Mash through the boil. But you will still need a hydrometer for fermentation as the refractometer isn't accurate when alcohol is in the mix.

Autosiphon. I've had one for 3 years now and I still tell my wife its the best thing I ever bought, and she rolls her eyes. I can't believe I did this for years without one and always literally held my breath each time I needed to start a siphon.

2nd would be my Blichmann 10 gallon. 3rd would be carboy handles.

And the 4th thing I don't have yet, an outdoor high BTU burner.

Autosiphon combined with the clip really makes it shine. One handed operation so I can get the hose where I want it to be.

my cant live withouts are my last 2 investments...homemade immersion chiller, cut cooling times down to about 10 minutes with hose water, and just picked up a minifridge from a buddy, that very conveniently fit into my homebuilt brew stand. Didn't even plan it that way. Now can easily get another beer, while brewing, without having to go inside to the kitchen fridge. :D Plus the wifey's not moaning about me taking up an entire shelf 50 bottles at a time.

20130528192700.jpg

Last thing to do, which will easily be the top of "cannot live withouts" is some casters for the bottom of the brew stand. With the fridge and all the angle iron (old bed frames from my old job), it's probably a good 100-120 lbs. Sucks to move, but well worth the 10$ i've invested in it so far. My 4th batch brewed on it is in primary right now!

Definitely in the auto-siphon camp. One of those pieces of equipment that I kick myself for not thinking of first.

My Johnson, and...

LMAO!

I suppose I got lucky in the autosiphon department. Mine came with my initial kit order. It is quite handy. Anyone tried the racking tube and filter idea with a carboy hood? It's highlighted here. It seems like it would work well and you don't have to worry about the seal on the autosiphon.

LMAO!

I suppose I got lucky in the autosiphon department. Mine came with my initial kit order. It is quite handy. Anyone tried the racking tube and filter idea with a carboy hood? It's highlighted here. It seems like it would work well and you don't have to worry about the seal on the autosiphon.

I used a blast of co2 with the carboy hood, works fine but you are limited to carboys.

When my autosiphon goes I will certainly buy another.

Since I only brew 10+ gallon batches I would have to say my Therminator. I couldn't imagine babysitting a 15 gallon pot after drinking... I mean brewing all day.

IMG_0989.jpg

Thats a nice setup. I'm brand new to homebrewing so my most important piece is my LBK lol.

I'm trying to find a way to maintain 50-60 degree fermentation in my extremely hot Texas garage. If anybody has any good setups that dont involve buying a refrigerator and don't involve daily rotation of frozen water bottles I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

Thats a nice setup. I'm brand new to homebrewing so my most important piece is my LBK lol.

I'm trying to find a way to maintain 50-60 degree fermentation in my extremely hot Texas garage. If anybody has any good setups that dont involve buying a refrigerator and don't involve daily rotation of frozen water bottles I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

I'm afraid those are the best options being where you are. The only other option is moving it inside and doing the frozen bottle rotation.

I have a fridge in my garage (Charleston, SC) that I unfortunately can't run due to power considerations. I can't change the breaker for it cause I don't own the place. I took out the bottom drawers and built a shelf. I have a deep freeze right next to it so I freeze 1 gallon milk jugs and throw those under there. I've got a temp controller that turns on and off a computer fan built into the shelf to maintain around 65 degrees. I only have to change out the jugs once a day.

Ill have to figure something out, thanks for the info.

I travel for work so being home daily to change out the ice jugs isn't an option.

My garage is a 2 car garage that has no cars in it, just man cave stuff so I have plenty of room, the problem is I don't have any outlets for the fridge, and its a rental so I cant just go rewiring all willy nilly. I love lagers over ale and unfortunately I can't keep my house 55-60 degrees, but I do keep it at 69-70 so I ferment my ale inside. Just brainstorming a way to keep a tank cold enough in the summer to ferment lager yeast. Was hoping for a nifty DIY trick to make a fridge that can be left alone for a week or so without needing maintence.

Ill have to figure something out, thanks for the info.

I travel for work so being home daily to change out the ice jugs isn't an option.

My garage is a 2 car garage that has no cars in it, just man cave stuff so I have plenty of room, the problem is I don't have any outlets for the fridge, and its a rental so I cant just go rewiring all willy nilly. I love lagers over ale and unfortunately I can't keep my house 55-60 degrees, but I do keep it at 69-70 so I ferment my ale inside. Just brainstorming a way to keep a tank cold enough in the summer to ferment lager yeast. Was hoping for a nifty DIY trick to make a fridge that can be left alone for a week or so without needing maintence.

No outlets period? What about the garage door opener if you have one, or even a standard light socket... and a small mini fridge?

No outlets period? What about the garage door opener if you have one, or even a standard light socket... and a small mini fridge?

Good point. If there is a garage door opener they are usually plugged into an outlet in the rafters. Just get an extension cord and a refrigerator off craigslist.

Must not have any kids. Or at least any that still live at home eh?

Nope no kids, wife and I were no capable so was never a consideration, total cost to date (still not complete) is under $1000.00 by the time I add tiled ends doors and a lift piston will see and post a build. It takes time as I only have a $1000.00 per year total budget for anything related to beer and brewing so I'm fruggle when purchasing.:D

Are these reusable?

Yes they are. They have been used by many people for multiple batches. They are fairly good plastic. A little thicker than a milk carton. Just minimize how hot the fluid is you pour/pump through them. I have the 600/400/200 stack myself.

Jesus...everything man.....but I suppose Ill roll with the top tools
1. My steam cleaner. It has a million and one uses
2. Electric heat stick. Damn, just damn. this thing made home brewing at home (vs outside) possible. 2 hours to get a rolling boil was NEVER acceptable.
3. Cool brewings coolers. Really upped my game in brewing quality, and really, it did more than anything to do so. It also works great as a keg cooler (fits two of emmn!) and is just cool overall.
4. Homemade stir plate. This thing is damn awesome. With the cool brewings cooler, it has the 2ed highest impact on making my beer THAT much better.
5. Kegging equipment. really, all of it.CO2 tank, regulator, Kegs, mini-fridge, etc. They really make drinking beer MY way, in size servings less than 12 oz,possible . I love all my kegging stuff
6. wort chiller. this thing really helped streamline brewday
7. Refractometer. This one was really cool to have, but wasn't THAT important compared to everything listed above. It is a cool thing to have however, and makes getting my suggar levels that much easier. so its a cool gizmo, but not as cool as everything else above
8. Auto-siphon- nuff said. You just need one

Honorable mentions (for being hugely low tech):
-Paracord carboy handle. this thing really makes moving my carboy when its empty a breeze, and makes moving it when its full possible. Really low tech, but hey, it works
- Rubber work gloves. Seriously. These things are just DAMN useful...for..well..everything. Moving carboys, handling freshly steamed hot jars (how I clean, and transferring hot wort from pot to mash tun. they do it ALL and man, I cant imagine brewing without emmn. really, really low tech, but yea, just as useful.
- Spray bottle. Seriously! this thing has a MILLION and one uses. Cleaning the mash tun, controlling boil, and making sure that candy sugar doesn't overflow and harden on my stove-top, its just damn useful.

But really. its hard to take any of those things out of my collection of brew equipment.

I need it all to make good beer ;)

Jesus...everything man.....but I suppose Ill roll with the top tools
1. My steam cleaner. It has a million and one uses
2. Electric heat stick. Damn, just damn. this thing made home brewing at home (vs outside) possible. 2 hours to get a rolling boil was NEVER acceptable.
3. Cool brewings coolers. Really upped my game in brewing quality, and really, it did more than anything to do so. It also works great as a keg cooler (fits two of emmn!) and is just cool overall.
4. Homemade stir plate. This thing is damn awesome. With the cool brewings cooler, it has the 2ed highest impact on making my beer THAT much better.
5. Kegging equipment. really, all of it.CO2 tank, regulator, Kegs, mini-fridge, etc. They really make drinking beer MY way, in size servings less than 12 oz,possible . I love all my kegging stuff
6. wort chiller. this thing really helped streamline brewday
7. Refractometer. This one was really cool to have, but wasn't THAT important compared to everything listed above. It is a cool thing to have however, and makes getting my suggar levels that much easier. so its a cool gizmo, but not as cool as everything else above
8. Auto-siphon- nuff said. You just need one

Honorable mentions (for being hugely low tech):
-Paracord carboy handle. this thing really makes moving my carboy when its empty a breeze, and makes moving it when its full possible. Really low tech, but hey, it works
- Rubber work gloves. Seriously. These things are just DAMN useful...for..well..everything. Moving carboys, handling freshly steamed hot jars (how I clean, and transferring hot wort from pot to mash tun. they do it ALL and man, I cant imagine brewing without emmn. really, really low tech, but yea, just as useful.
- Spray bottle. Seriously! this thing has a MILLION and one uses. Cleaning the mash tun, controlling boil, and making sure that candy sugar doesn't overflow and harden on my stove-top, its just damn useful.

But really. its hard to take any of those things out of my collection of brew equipment.

I need it all to make good beer ;)

Excellent list! Wouldn't have thought to use a steam cleaner for things around the brewery.

Excellent list! Wouldn't have thought to use a steam cleaner for things around the brewery.

For me, its the gift that keeps on giving. I purchased it to clean my rug (which it did a great job for very difficult stains), but its also great for blasting jars with steam to sanitize them.

Its also great for cleaning out tubing. a blast of steam into tubing and soon its completely clean. If their is gunk in the tubes that does not want to leave, I shove in a small wad of paper towels and shoot it through the tubing with steam power!

cleans the tubes every time, and that's even more useful now that I've got kegging stuff ^_^

and kegging! I always hit the steam cleaner into my kegs after a PBW/Oxy bath and it gives a nice last bit of assurance that my kegs will be completely clean (long term heavy doses of steam can kill a LOT of stuff), and before my kegs it was a great way to clean my bottles that didn't drive me insane

but yea, I digress. Its a great tool. when it broke I pretty much had to hold off brewing until I got a new one.

Back