interested in brewing... any advice on a book?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourcheese

Reaction score
With so many brew books out thier I found it a little difficult to pick just one.

Im very interested in learning the process of making beer, the equipment needed and a few basic recipes for me to start with. preferably a book that has a simple step by step approach then with more advanced recipes as time goes on.

As far as equipment for myself now, I have 3 5 gallon carboys, 3 6 gallon pales, hydrometer, racking cane and auto siphon equipment.

Ive made about 3 batches of mead with my best being a ginger mead that was a little to gingery (2.5 lbs fresh grated into 5 gallons) with kv116 yeast.

I just dont have the patience to sit and wait a year for this stuff to be drinkable.

so today I went into barns and nobles and saw a few good books but I saw equipment that looked like it came out of chem lab... something with copper coils for cooling the initial boiled "mash" to going into what I would assume is a container for fermenting. I am hoping that thier is a process for making beer that doesnt require this thing.

Anyway any advice appriciated. I also will further browse this websight.

How to Brew by John Palmer. No contest.

Currently in the 3rd edition. 1st edition is available online for free. Quick google search will turn it up.

I highly recommend "How to Brew" by John Palmer. It's a good beginner book, but there is some advanced info in there later.

He has the first edition for free online at howtobrew.com. But I think buying the book is worth it. He has appendices with equipment and a glossary that is very helpful!

Latest posts

Back