1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EDIT: If enough people are doing this, how about a mini-batch forum category here?

+1

I agree. I've been doing one gallon batches for a few reasons. For one, my wimpy electric stove won't boil more than about 1.5 gal of water. And obviously space comes into play. I plan to move to a 3 gal fermenter soon, but until I can afford to build a mash tun and get a propane burner, my little "mini-batches" suffice to take my mind off the work week.

I go 5 gallon All Grain batches and have recently moved to 3 gallon AG batches so that I can try new recipies and because I have some 3 gallon kegs.
Smaller batches are fun to brew and much easier to accomplish on all fronts and cheaper too. I don't consume beer that fast so smaller batches are just fine. I think it deserves a forum topic onto itself.

I've recently been looking at switching to 1-2 gallon batches. I LOVE the act of brewing beer, but am not a huge drinker. I probably put down the equivalent of a 12-pack a week.

It reached a point for me where I had a dozen cases stacked up in my dining room, cabinets full of beer, a four-carboy pipeline nearly always full. My production was far exceeding my consumption, even with my handful of beer-appreciating friends that drop by for their house-imposed two-drink maximum (if driving) from time to time.

I also like the idea of being able to be a bit more creative and less concerned over brewing a large amount of beer that I don't care much for.

Since I've started a mini yeast-bank and moved on to AG, always with starters, small batches become much more feasible than they were when the prospect of dropping $7 on a vial per-batch was an issue.

I do still plan on keeping my "house brews" on tap, but am looking forward to starting with the smaller batches.

I wish I'd started brewing when I was young enough to keep up with my consumption :drunk:

Since I've started a mini yeast-bank and moved on to AG, always with starters, small batches become much more feasible than they were when the prospect of dropping $7 on a vial per-batch was an issue.

I've been doing the BIAB thing from Brooklyn Brew Shop until now. I just got the grains for my first "by recipe" brew which I'll cook up tomorrow. The point you just made about the expense of the yeast is one that hadn't hit me until now, so I suppose I'll have to learn to make a starter. I've been avoiding that step until now, but it would certainly be more cost effective when making the smaller batches.

On that note, could anybody point this noob towards a good (simple) how-to on starters?

Though I don't brew with a one-gallon (I chose to buy a Mr beer kit for half off), I am a proponent of the one gallon batch mainly because I just am not good at drinking the same beer for too long and love to try other varieties.

I was going to say I would have gone with a cheaper rig with a one-gallon mash kit (aka just picking up pieces here and there), but I believe that might have come to more than what I spent....but still much better than a full kit.

I've been doing the BIAB thing from Brooklyn Brew Shop until now. I just got the grains for my first "by recipe" brew which I'll cook up tomorrow. The point you just made about the expense of the yeast is one that hadn't hit me until now, so I suppose I'll have to learn to make a starter. I've been avoiding that step until now, but it would certainly be more cost effective when making the smaller batches.

On that note, could anybody point this noob towards a good (simple) how-to on starters?

There must be a good how-to thread but i don't see it. then again, it's late.

Basically, starters are where you increase the amount of yeast you have by feeding yeast on thin wort, potentially with active aeration via a stir plate, for a few days before brewing. potentially cold crashing when it's fermented out so that you can decant off the spent wort and add more for a step up.

I am kinda doing the best of both worlds. I will brew a 3-5 gallon batch of a base recipe then add different herbs or fruit into3-5 one gallon fermenters and see what comes out.

Just brewed a basic american wheat added blueberries, apricots, figs, mangoes and old bay seasoning in 5different one gallon fermenters. We will see.

I bottled 3 (1) gallon batches (wheat, smoked, and apa) and racked a forth gallon batch of black IPA that I may treat in a manner that I believe is perfectly legal and call it Black Eye'd Jack. Now I have four empty carboys. I guess I'll throw a batch together tonight with the grains I have left over from other batches. The beauty of 1 gallon batches is that it doesn't take too many left over grains to make a batch.

i've just started to do 1 gallon beers! I love it. I was curious, i received a 5 gallon beer kit as a gift. I'd like to use them. I'm wondering is it just a matter of dividing all the ingredients in 1/5...not sure if it works that way? Also the yeast included is dried yeast - can i open the pack and use a bit of it and keep it? Will this interfer with the yeast? It will be unused until my carboy is empty - probably 2 weeks.

thanks in advance!

It won't come out exactly the same, but it will be very similar. You can keep an open packet of dry yeast in a zip-lock in the freezer.

Yeah, I was wondering about how to split a 5 gallon kit as well. Are all the grains mixed up in one bag? I would be interested to try it because I have to buy 1 and .5 lb amounts and end up with more than i need.

I'm going to give 1 gal brewing a try. Just ordered a 2 gal fermenting bucket from Northern Brewer( had a gift card to burn). When I get my bucket in I will come up with a recipe and give it a shot.

I bottled 3 (1) gallon batches (wheat, smoked, and apa) and racked a forth gallon batch of black IPA that I may treat in a manner that I believe is perfectly legal and call it Black Eye'd Jack. Now I have four empty carboys. I guess I'll throw a batch together tonight with the grains I have left over from other batches. The beauty of 1 gallon batches is that it doesn't take too many left over grains to make a batch.

What kit did you use? Or did you make your own

I am curious if going to smaller batches the fermentation happens faster? Like if I go to 1 gallon from 5 would it likely take 1/5th the time to ferment? Or is it the same timeline just with less yeast?

I am curious if going to smaller batches the fermentation happens faster? Like if I go to 1 gallon from 5 would it likely take 1/5th the time to ferment? Or is it the same timeline just with less yeast?

same timeline, just 1/5th the size. one of the reasons most people say just brew a 5 gallon batch, same amount of work and time for 5 x the result

I use half a packet per gallon batch - economizes a bit on the yeast, without having to measure out minute quantities.

The main reason I do double batch brew days with my 1 gallons. Even my "heavy" beers work out to less than 1/2 a pack so I am always set by the end of the day. Plus...its a 12 pack of 16oz!

I'm going to give 1 gal brewing a try. Just ordered a 2 gal fermenting bucket from Northern Brewer( had a gift card to burn). When I get my bucket in I will come up with a recipe and give it a shot.

1.6 gallons or roughly 15 beers works in those.Basiclly 1/3ding 5 gallon batches easily.

A couple of guys from Shmaltz Brewing in Brooklyn (He'Brew ales and Coney Island lagers) visited our homebrew club this week. They described their "world's smallest commercial brewery" in Coney Island. It brews 1 gallon batches. They invite home brewers to come and brew with them.

These are guys who have won a number of prizes for their beer, so I wouldn't be embarrassed about brewing a gallon at a time.

Honestly, I brew 2.5 gal batches for now. I've got a vanilla bourbon porter currently bottle conditioning and a honey wheat in the primary fermenter. Doing half-batches because I feel better screwing up 2.5 gal over five!

I'm going to be pitching dregs from a couple of bottles of Brux into 1 to 3 gallons of Saison and let it sit another 6 to 12 months. Any suggestions on a vessel I can find locally?

I use the brown PET bottles from the tap-a-draft system they are 6 liters (1.58G) so a 1 to 1.25 gallon batch does well (quarter of the standard 5G)

I'm going to be pitching dregs from a couple of bottles of Brux into 1 to 3 gallons of Saison and let it sit another 6 to 12 months. Any suggestions on a vessel I can find locally?

How about a drink dispenser? They've got taps on the side. I've got a 2 gallon one with cider going in it now. I did punch a hole in the lid for a rubber stopper and air lock.

but.. if I rack the beer into a secondary (I know it's not necessary and I've never done it with 5G brews that fill the fermenter)... is there too much headspace in a 3G square Better Bottle? If so, does purging the bottle with some CO2 the way to go?
first, the obligatory message that secondary is rarely required - certainly not as often as most people use it.

but if you want to secondary, theory has it that you should use a vessel that allows for minimal headspace. personally, i don't worry about that too much. when you rack to secondary, you will be releasing CO2 from the beer which will create a protective blanket above the beer. purging with CO2 is another way of ensuring that oxygen doesn't reach the surface of the beer, it a good additional precautionary step. i've read that some people add a little sugar (like a spoonful) to secondary in order to create a little CO2.

remember that CO2 is heavier than oxygen so as long as you don't do anything to kick the stuff out you'll be fine.

Just a question regarding 1G homebrewers - do you use dry yeast or do you use liquid yeast and create a yeast starter in order to keep it for a couple of brews ?

Just a question regarding 1G homebrewers - do you use dry yeast or do you use liquid yeast and create a yeast starter in order to keep it for a couple of brews ?

Good question. If you use dry yeast, do you just divide it accordingly as well? I imagine spreading the dry yeast out on a mirror and dividing it in lines with a razor blade as if it were cocaine. :D

What about those who are still extract brewing? How would you split the extract if it's based on a 5 gallon recipe. That stuff's pretty thick.

I don't plan on doing this with my next batch, but it would be something I would like to give a go when I hone my skills.

most of my batches I do as now as partial mash. I found this to be the easiest for me. this way I can adjust the extract/basemalt bill to change base liquid/DME/Grain ratios as needed for whatever size batch I brew. when going to 1.25 I usually get a 1 pound dme and adjust the other grain around this. for larger "small" batches 2.5 or 3 gallons you can use DME or LME 3 lbs and again add base grain for the mash to get where the recipes call for. have also mashed 1.25 as all grain and found it was very easy and actually not near as long as 3 and 5 lb ag days

for dry yeast I use a half packet. for liquid I use White labs and a half vial sanitised well without a starter for 1.25gallon batches. occasionally i try and time brews so a 1.25 gallon can act as the starter for a 2.5 to 5 gallon larger batch saving the yeast cost

This thread rocks! I have been listening to podcasts from Basic Brewing Radio as well as watching their video podcasts. They focus a lot on trying new things or experimentation. The small batch is often used on the show. The small batch approach for me seems to fit the Aussie trend of BIAB and No Chill brewing. I am almost ready to start. I just need to figure out how to build up a yeast supply and/or start using dry yeast.

My interest is in only making bigger batches of things I have tried in smaller quantity and liked. I have made good and not so good. This will give me the chance to experiment (which I enjoy) and hopefully increase my experience in brewing faster. Cheers!

I am just getting into the homebrew game and space is at a premium in my tiny apartment. Also I LOVE to experiment and ifan off the wall 1gal goes wrong and I have lost a gallon of beer, big deal. A 5gal batch goes awry and 5gal of beer gets dumped down the drain. Not afraid of 5 gal, just can't make it work right now. No need to step up to 5, it isn't an upgrade just a transfer to a diff department at the same pay grade.

Good question. If you use dry yeast, do you just divide it accordingly as well? I imagine spreading the dry yeast out on a mirror and dividing it in lines with a razor blade as if it were cocaine. :D

Heh. While that is an amusing image, I just divide a packet of dry in half for a one gallon batch. Much easier to measure and the beer turns out great.

I just read this whole thread and have to say.....I can't wait to use the one gallon jugs that have found there way into my brew house!

Brewing one gallon is a great way to learn how to make a starter :p

I'm tempted to buy a bunch of 1 gallon carboys and brew like 10 batches of apfelwein so I can pick my favorite yeast / ingredient combo. But seriously the cost of 10 1 gallon carboys is about $100. Plus I don't think they would all fit in my fermentation freezer as well as larger batches would?

You need a growler larger than 1 gallon to brew a 1 gallon batch don't ya?

I have to admit this kit has some appeal, but I'm not sure if it's worth buying this or just building a mashtun myself.
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_452_547

Back