how to calculate canned corn?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
I read somewhere someone used canned corn for a corn beer. They got the canned corn that has water and corn listed as the ingredients, and NOTHING else, then blended it up and boiled for an hour then tossed into the mash tun. I know i'm doomed to get flamed for even bringing up this idea but I am going to goof off with it. So if you must, flame on. :rockin: Corn is what gives corona it's flavor(ok, sunlight w/ clear bottles, continual shaking of the bottles from mexico and small amounts of hops and sugars as well) and i kinda like it for a BMC. I want to bring a corn flavor to a bigger beer. a 7ish% beer. I've seen rye and wheat beers. Why not make a corn beer! What I need to know though, is how many lbs of corn do I count per can of corn in a recepie calculator?

Depends on how big the can is, the weight listed on a can is net of water. I wouldn't go over 25% in the mash. The Poor Richard's ale AHA came up with last year was about 20%. It used flaked corn, but the flavor comes through.

Buying frozen corn in the institutional size might be cheaper.

I am from Nebraska (grew up on a farm) and several years ago wanted to try making a corn beer. (it was my first all grain and a total disaster of a process) I malted 5 lbs of corn straight from the bin, then I ran it through our cracker after it was dry enough. I mixed this with 5 lbs of 2 row pale malt and 1 lb of crystal. Mashed about 149 for 60 min. Then collected the wort. After it was all said and done, it tasted exactly like Heineken (which to me wasn't a good thing). I don't think I would call it a success and I have never tried to do it again. Malting was fun and actually fairly easy. Being my first all grain, I really didn't have the right equipment and I used the bucket in bucket lauter tun which I have never used again and I think that is why the process was such a disaster. Just a short 5 years later I have finally switched for good to all grain and the process is much much better.
Good luck with your corn beer and tell us how it works out.:mug:

I just did a mexican lager over the weekend, Recipe is at home i will post it when I get there. But i used Flaked Maize, or called flaked corn. used 3lb's for five gallons. You are right though not a lot of hops two liberty additions on at 60 and one at flame out.

I made the mistake of putting my canned corn (we used one can, plus all the water in the can) in the boil, not in the mash. It ended up tasting very grassy, which was disappointing. We also used flaked corn, and I can't really say where the flavor came from... I'm blaming boiled kernel corn though.

Just my 2 cents.

kvh

BYO (Brew Your Own) magazine has an book 150 clone recipes could be more or less I forget but in it one of the recipes is for a New Castle Brown ale clone. Where you make 2 beers, the 1st a big beer that is aged, then a little beer is combined with it. Both are made with flaked maze (corn). The big beer sounds like what you are trying to make.

If you don't want to buy flaked maze. You might consider getting grits or corn flakes rather than whole corn because the corn really needs to be crushed.

I also read where some old folks malted the corn first but that was for a mash
for corn whiskey. But you would need something like pop corn to do that and it would still need to be ground or milled inorder to get most of the sugars out.

If you don't want to buy flaked maze. You might consider getting grits or corn flakes rather than whole corn because the corn really needs to be crushed.

Flaked maize is cheap and easy you just add it to the mash, grits need to be boiled to gelatinize, stay away from corn flakes lot more than just corn in that stuff.:)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=299612

According to this HBS flaked corn which is what grits are. Must be mashed but does not need to be gelatinized.

http://www.paddockwood.com/product_info.php?products_id=564

As far as corn flakes I would not use Kellogg's that's for sure or Post or any big time cereal maker but rather something you would find in a health food store or health food section of the grocery store that does not have preservatives. I don't see where the other grains and or sugar that might be in corn flakes would pose a problem.

I made a batch last weekend that I added about 1 lb. of organic yellow corn grits to. I'll know how it turned out in a couple of months.

But the New Castle big beer clone I made was awesome.

Also according to John Palmer in "How to Brew" page 126 "Flaked corn (maize). Flaked corn is a common adjunct in British bitters and milds and used to be used extensively in American light lager ( althought today corn grits are more common)." He also states "Use 1/2 to 2 pounds per 5-gallon batch. Corn must be mashed with malt base." He does state that oatmeal and rice need to be cooked (gelatinized) first.

Back