Oatmeal Stout Dwarven Warrior Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a pint of my ChocolOATe Stout. This is 1 week in bottle and tastes great already and is moderately carbed so far...

Wife did a blind side-by-side tasting against a well known commercial Porter (I know, different to a Stout - but not by much and not that wife can discern) and mine came out on top!! Pretty good...!

003.jpg

Here is a pint of my ChocolOATe Stout. This is 1 week in bottle and tastes great already and is moderately carbed so far...

Wife did a blind side-by-side tasting against a well known commercial Porter (I know, different to a Stout - but not by much and not that wife can discern) and mine came out on top!! Pretty good...!

looks great!! give it time to carb up and it'll be even better. There isn't much difference between a porter and stout so don't worry about that. in fact, you could enter this into a comp as a robust porter or oatmeal porter and it'd do great :)

i brewed this one yesterday and i could not believe the smell. its chocolatey malty caramel, i can go on and on
really looking forward to this one especially after the success i had with mysticmead's irish red ale.

hard core lads who would down 10 pints of guinness or smithwicks preferred my irish red ale over the established irish ale, commercial stuff!

i brewed this one yesterday and i could not believe the smell. its chocolatey malty caramel, i can go on and on
really looking forward to this one especially after the success i had with mysticmead's irish red ale.

hard core lads who would down 10 pints of guinness or smithwicks preferred my irish red ale over the established irish ale, commercial stuff!

this stout made hard core guinness drinkers never want to drink anything but this oatmeal stout ever again. you're gonna love this one as much as the irish red ale

i have made this on the 3rd of october and smelt and tasted amazing. i got vigorous fermentation very quickly and within 3 days boom... stoped.
the room is at 19-20 degrees, the FGis at 1014 and did not move any further. my OG was 1052
can i go ahead, prime and bottle
i know mysticmead suggest 4 weeks but is it ready ? will the beer benefit from sitting for so long on the yeast cake?
thank you

i have made this on the 3rd of october and smelt and tasted amazing. i got vigorous fermentation very quickly and within 3 days boom... stoped.
the room is at 19-20 degrees, the FGis at 1014 and did not move any further. my OG was 1052
i know mysticmead suggest 4 weeks but is it ready ? will the beer benefit from sitting for so long on the yeast cake?
thank you

if it has dropped clear (as best as you can tell on a stout) go ahead and prime and bottle.

thank you

I would give at least another week for it to clear and for the yeast to clean up. Personally for porter's, stout's and Belgian Dark's I allow at least 4 weeks to get consistent taste.

Thank you guys
I will leave it alone so
I'll post a review when I sample a bottle

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would give at least another week for it to clear and for the yeast to clean up. Personally for porter's, stout's and Belgian Dark's I allow at least 4 weeks to get consistent taste.

I prefer to go 4 weeks on all my beers at the very least.. others like going 2 weeks.. some let it go until it stops fermenting.. crash cooling and finings can make a beer crystal clear in 48 hours (bio-fine clear will clear any beer/cider/mead/wine in 48 hours). If zamo27 feels comfortable with it being 2 weeks old and its clear.. bottling won't hurt a thing. after all, he'll be letting it condition in the bottle for another few weeks

I'm a very impatient person by character but I'm sticking to the advice above
4 weeks then bottle
I'm still sipping on your raging red ale and that puts a smile on my face all the time.
As the saying goes.. Good things happen to those who wait, let prove this 😇

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I brewed yet another batch of this awesome beer to have it ready for the 2015 Peach State Brew Off in February. The sample after the boil was perfect. Let's see if I can get that gold this year to go with the silver.

So I just realized that I ran into a problem. I plan on brewing this beer soon however my boil pot is only 6gallons, any suggestions? I just started getting all my equipment for Xmas so returns are out.

So I just realized that I ran into a problem. I plan on brewing this beer soon however my boil pot is only 6gallons, any suggestions? I just started getting all my equipment for Xmas so returns are out.

I would cut the recipe in half or go buy a bigger kettle. at least 7.5 gallon if doing a 3V all grain setup or 10 gallon if doing BIAB. Aluminum is perfectly fine and cheap too.

Just used this as a jumping off point for a recipe for my first All Grain brew. Just mashed in, can't wait for finished product. Thanks for an awesome recipe, the name caught my eye!

When I brewed this a few weeks ago it was my first all grain brew so I was working with my old 5 gallon kettle. I split my wort between that and another 3 gallon pot that I just had for general cooking (cleaned and sanitized of course). I then split the hop additions accordingly.

Obviously I didn't expect perfect hop utilization because of this process, but considering it is a low IBU beer, I was not concerned.

Obviously not ideal but worked in a pinch, and a college budget preventing a bigger kettle.

The results for the 2015 Peach State brew off are in... there were 465 entries in total... Dwarven Warrior took home 3rd for the oatmeal stout category (combined with dry stout). Dry Stout is a tough one to be paired with so I'm happy with the result. once I get the score sheet I'll be able to see what the judges liked or thought was missing.

yeah.. they're trying to claim it as their beer.. and that they won the silver.. it was me that won.. reporting yet another one to untappd

If we brew this and then submit to competition, do we somehow have to credit the recipe?

I've not done competitions, so I'm not sure.

JP

If we brew this and then submit to competition, do we somehow have to credit the recipe?

I've not done competitions, so I'm not sure.

JP

its not required since they don't (shouldn't) ask for the recipe to enter a competition. If they do ask for the recipe, question them to see if they are planning on using the recipes at a brewery (have seen a couple small breweries do this exact thing to build their recipe database instead of doing the work themselves). those are the kind of competitions I avoid.

if you win an award, please come back here and let us know!

all I ask is that you don't go to other sites and post it as your original creation. if you are going to post the recipe someplace please link it back to here

I just found out about a brewing competition and would like to enter this. I've made it twice before and it seemed to be drinkable in a short time. I could give it two weeks in the primary and two weeks to bottle condition. What do you think?

I just found out about a brewing competition and would like to enter this. I've made it twice before and it seemed to be drinkable in a short time. I could give it two weeks in the primary and two weeks to bottle condition. What do you think?

that might be pushing it, but I say give it a shot. this one has been a proven medal winner for me... 2 out of 2 times entered

I brewed this yesterday as my first stout, and am very excited.

I do not see what temp you fermented at? Can you please clarify or point me to where i missed it? Thanks for what looks to be a great recipe.

I brewed this yesterday as my first stout, and am very excited.

I do not see what temp you fermented at? Can you please clarify or point me to where i missed it? Thanks for what looks to be a great recipe.

Fermentation Temp is based mostly on the yeast strain you use. Each one has an optimum temp, which is usually listed on the package. :mug:

Cold crash? Gelatine? This is my first stout. What's the best way to prep for bottling?

I was thinking more about mouth feel. I didn't know if cold crashing or gelatine would pull out the creaminess or not.

I was thinking more about mouth feel. I didn't know if cold crashing or gelatine would pull out the creaminess or not.

it'll cold crash in the bottle once put in the fridge, no change in mouthfeel.... no need to use gelatin since you'll never see the light of day through it

Anyone else brew this beer since 2015?

Brewed MysticMeads Raging Irish Red and I'm most likely going to brew this soon.

Pretty excited to do so!

Back