Oaking while not disturbing the pellicle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibb

Reaction score
Here in a week or so I will be attempting my first Flanders type sour beer. I've read that Rodenbach and Petrus aged pale both age on oak, so I would like to try my hand at that as well. Since I will be using oak chips I won't have the luxury of keeping the beer on top of them while the (presumably year long) fermentation happens. I am wondering what's the best way to oak my beer - I've heard that if you disturb the pellicle it can take months to reform. Is this the case, or can I just yank it out after I've oaked it long enough? Thanks for your input!

Edit: I'm going for a really sour beer so I'm just pitching the Roeselare blend in without a primary yeast like Cal Ale

I would allow it to ferment for a few weeks, then transfer it to a carboy on top of oak. The pelicle won't form in the first few weeks, so you'll be fine there.

I usually ferment my sours with US05 until they're about 80% fermented. Then...depending on what type of sour (some I use a secondary on, some I don't) I'll transfer it to a secondary where I'll add the oak, pedio, and lacto. I add the brett at a few months in. The oak will eventually hit a peak and then start to mellow in time. By the time you drink these beers, you probably won't even notice it's there.

Toss in the oak, and leave it there. The Brett will consume it as food. Not necessary to remove it.

Back