spontaneous fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BehrBrews

Reaction score
Last saturday, I brewed an IPA in which I miss calculated my boil off. I was left with 7-8 gallons. I put 6 in to my primary fermenter and pitch my starter. With the remaining 2 gallons I put it in my secondary but did not have any yeast to pitch. I was planning on getting yeast on Monday and pitching it. I got super busy at work and was unable to get to the brew store all week. The wort was left in my secondary glass carboy with a airlock, covered with a towel in mid 60 degree weather since Saturday. Today I removed the towel and see what appeared to be fermentation (about 1/2 Krausen an active airlock) A hydrometer measurement showed a drop of only .004. There is all so a moderately strong olive aroma. Whats going on? Can I let this sit for another couple days and see if the gravity drops further? Is it a lost batch? Any advice is appreciated.

Back