Hibiscus Metheglyn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkenPig

Reaction score
I was curious if anyone has tried making a hibiscus metheglyn recently. I've come across this jar of wild hibiscus flowers that are in syrup and they seem perfect for making a mead with. The jar is about 8.8 oz. The directions say to use them in a glass of champagne to make it fun and festive.

My problem is how much honey should use to make a decent batch of mead with using only 8.8 oz of hibiscus flower and syrup. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Interesting and different. I like ! :mug:

Let me know what you decide. I am new to mead making myself so might have to put this on the mead list.

I would think a 1 gal batch, even then it may be a little large but if you use some light honey, the hibiscus may come out. I would add it after the mead is fully fermented out to not drive off the delicate aroma.

Well I've been since i was a small child i've been drinking a boiled leaf drink called flor de jamaica. I just started brewing mead for the first time 5 days ago, and i read this post and though. Uhm...habiscus...sure sounds a whole lot like Jamaica "ha-ma-ike-ah". So i googled it and yup sure is the same thing and I have 3 kilos of it in dried leaf form.I also saw on several hispanic grocery websites that you could buy it in a liquid concentrate 16oz makes 1 gallon of this deliciously sweet and tart drink. I sure would like to flavor my mead with it can I add it after the fermentation process like just stick some of the dried leafs in the carboy while it ages? Or even pour in the concentrate.

Back