Just got my kegging setup, let the stupid questions begin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mayday99

Reaction score
Alright!

I was stoked today to see a big box from Midwest supplies waiting on my doorstep when I got home today. Inside, two used kegs (looked to be in pretty good shape) a double regulator (2 pressure) and a brand new 5lb aluminum CO2 tank.

I am looking everything over and I notice the valve on the co2 tank doesn't really turn. It moves a fraction of a rotation in either direction, but feels like it is hitting a safety of some sort? I figured it was better for me to get familiar with it now rather than when it is filled with compressed gas.

Anyone have an idea of what I am talking about?

I searched, but couldn't find anything on this.

More stupid questions to come, I'm sure.

Thanks

Since you're going to have to get it filled, I would just take it to a gas supplier and have them look at it. If it's broke they probably wont fill it, if its just you not know what you doing (no disrespect intended) then they will most likely set you straight.

FYI Airgas usually just swaps out empty tanks for full ones, just like propane exchanges. I had brought them a tank that was out of hydro and they swapped it out no questions asked and with no additional charge.

Since you're going to have to get it filled, I would just take it to a gas supplier and have them look at it. If it's broke they probably wont fill it, if its just you not know what you doing (no disrespect intended) then they will most likely set you straight.

FYI Airgas usually just swaps out empty tanks for full ones, just like propane exchanges. I had brought them a tank that was out of hydro and they swapped it out no questions asked and with no additional charge.

Hah, love your handle, I thought only us folks in Connecticut referred to our northern neighbors as Mass holes.

Any way, your answer convinced me the tank should be able to turn, and encouraged me to give it a little more muscle, it is opening now. I just didn't want to force it at first. Maybe this is something on newer tanks, but you just need to turn it a bit harder at the beginning, this is probably to keep it from opening accidentally.

Thanks, I don't know what I would do without these forums!

Hah, love your handle, I thought only us folks in Connecticut referred to our northern neighbors as Mass holes.

It's ok you can call us that all day, and we'll continue to curse all the crappy CT drivers that cross the border into our world.

I'm not so sure about your theory on "the first turn" of the valve though. Just make sure you mention it the first time you get it filled so they can make sure its safe for you.

Thanks, I met at the beginning of each turn. Each time I open it, there is a little resistance right when you first start turning that you need to push past, it is then easy to open it the rest of the way.

I have played with it a couple of times and it feels like a safety feature, but I will be sure to ask when I get it filled.

Hoping I can get it filled at Hogan's Alley paintball in Meriden. Airgas and the other places all close at 4-5.

Thanks, I met at the beginning of each turn. Each time I open it, there is a little resistance right when you first start turning that you need to push past, it is then easy to open it the rest of the way.

Mine does the same thing. Brand new bottle. Had if checked and filled and everything is OK.

Well, I went to a nearby paintball place, Hogan's Alley in Meriden, and they filled it while I waited for $10! So I got to keep my brand new tank, and they are open until 7!

I hope this place doesn't go anywhere soon. Everywhere else I called was more expensive and they all closed at 4 or 5.

My keg fridge arrived today and my draft tower/faucets come on Friday. Can't wait!

Now I wonder how concerned I should be about finding a way to secure the co2 tank. I have a double regulator, so it is pretty long. There is room to put it in front of two cornies rather than on the tank shelf in the back.

A piece of wire works well to secure the tank. You can loop the wire around something inside the fridge, or even around a keg handle.

So are you pretty happy with their setup from midwest? I am looking at the same setup from them. Im wanting to get one in the next couple of months. This bottling crap is for the birds.

So are you pretty happy with their setup from midwest? I am looking at the same setup from them. Im wanting to get one in the next couple of months. This bottling crap is for the birds.

Yeah, the stuff from midwest came pretty quickly and was in good shape. The kegs were still holding pressure and looked pretty clean. I rinsed them well, gave another oxy cleaning to be sure and changed out the o-rings. One word of advice is to get a 7/8 flat wrench with the star shape if you don't already have one, this will help you take the posts off when changing the o-rings.

The midwest setup was securely packed, all of the hoses were connected to the regulator/disconnects, so they do make it pretty easy. My only question is on the tank pressure gauge that shows how much is left in the tank. It started off at 800 psi and is now showing 600psi which is really on the low end. There are no leaks and I only using one of the two regulators. I read elsewhere that these gagues are not always accurate just due to the nature of co2, so I won't worry about it unless/until I find my tank empty.

Edit: answered my own question about the co2 full gauge, seems it is quite normal to read at this level when chilled:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/what-should-co2-tank-gauge-read-when-full-145772/

I also got my setup in from midwest. Everything looks good. I just have to find a place to fill the tank before i can test the connections for leaks

I also got my setup in from midwest. Everything looks good. I just have to find a place to fill the tank before i can test the connections for leaks
I was lucky with the paintball place. That would be my first bet since they are usually open late enough to get to after work.

Latest posts

Back