Beyond Black and Tan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rednekhippiemotrcyclfreak

Reaction score
Does anyone else experiment with pouring two different beers together? I've found that IPA's and Browns mix well and taste great together. Today I tried Terrapin India Brown and Fort Collins Retro Red. It worked for me. Actually, the first time I tried this was when I got to the end of my corny of Lagunitas IPA clone. I only had enough for half a glass, so I topped it off with Terrapin India Brown and thought, man I wish I had brewed that.

I had my first ever Black and Tan the other day. Bell's Hopslam and Dogfish Head World Wide Stout. The combination led to a very unique beer. Pretty good actually. Lots of dark fruity notes.

I've been on a Bee Cave Porter/Graff mix lately as both are kegged up and taste delicious together.

I always try and mix a lot of my beers just to see. Most don't work out, but the ones that do are awesome.

I've been on a Bee Cave Porter/Graff mix lately as both are kegged up and taste delicious together.

I always try and mix a lot of my beers just to see. Most don't work out, but the ones that do are awesome.

lol I've done that a lot too. I've also done snakebites with Bee cave porter and Apfelwein. I've also done black and tans with Bee cave Haus Ale and Oflannigans stout. I like mixing beers when I'm in the mood, but sometimes I don't like it so much.

I brewed a RyePA using bad math, it was a 1.040 (shoulda been 1.062) beer with waaay too much magnum in it, real unbalanced but it mixed well with my hefe, actually became a crowd pleaser!

The big local bottle bar chain by me does an awsome one, Guiness/Lindemans Framboise. Very nice.

I have a friend that likes Omegang Witte and Rye Whisky togeather but that's not a beer blend.

Wow, this is my second judgemental post in 2 minutes, but what a waste of Ommegang! He's turning it into a boilermaker. hah.

The big local bottle bar chain by me does an awsome one, Guiness/Lindemans Framboise. Very nice.

I have a friend that likes Omegang Witte and Rye Whisky togeather but that's not a beer blend.

I tried a Javamber last night... My Mocha Stout poured on top of my Amber, and it actually tasted really good! Had another tonight.

I've had some so-so batches and weren't quite up to snuff, but I didn't have the heart to dump the bottles.

Then I had a very nice barleywine aged for a year. Mixing a bit of the barleywine into the so-so milder ale really makes something interesting. It's really perked up ambers, pales, etc.

After all, old ales and barleywines were developed in England specifically to be added to mild ales to taste...

Back