odd smelling stout...gunk on sides of primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snyderb

Reaction score
I made a stout from muntons kit with dry malt instead of sugar.

I pitched the yeast accidentally way to hot like around 85 - 95 degree F and it went crazy after about a few hours.

After seven days I decided to transfer it to a secondary fermenter. It seemed like it was done fermenting though.

I took a gravity reading in the fermenter itself and it was around 1.03 (1.3?)

There was brown sludge all around the sides of my fermenter above the brew itself and it smelled rather odd like a fruity kind of smell.

I'm wondering if the initial heat pitching the yeast ruined the beer and why the gravity is so high...unless I took the gravity reading wrong by placing it in the entire batch in the barrel.

thanks

Pitching hot results in fast yeast growth and fast ferments. A fast ferment will result in chemicals called esters, may of which are fruity smelling. The brown sludge is what's left over from the krausen. Using malt with the standard Muntons yeast will give you a higher final gravity. If you can find some Muntons Gold, adding a packet to the barrel should reduce the gravity.

1) Yes, you pitched too hot. Next time pitch your yeast at 70F max. The consequences of pitching too warm are off flavors (esters, phenols)

2) You definitely didn't measure 1.3...the question is whether it was 1.03 or 1.003. 1.03 means that fermentation wasn't complete and you moved the beer too soon. 1.003 means that fermentation was likely complete, but that is a very low gravity and likely means that your beer will be very dry. Never rack a beer until you've taken a consistent gravity reading three days in a row. The longer it sits in primary the better, just to make sure.

3) The brown sludge is completely normal, as is the smell (you're smelling the yeast).

I forgot to mention that I had put 1 lbs. of lactose in the batch in the boil for sweetness. Would that explain a higher gravity for seemingly being done?

Back