Refrigerator for Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
Hey guys...Starting my first brew today, I can't wait. I think I've talked about it so much this week, my girl friend is getting frustrated.

Anyway, I live in Texas and want a stable fermentation temp. I have an extra refrigerator I want to use to keep my primary at a good temp. Any precautions I need to take, or is this totally alright?

I'm assuming this is a lager we're talking about, right? If it's an ale, your fridge is probably going to get the temperature way too low.

Be sure that your fridge isn't dropping the fermentation temps too low for your yeast. You can experiment with a carboy full of water, and see how low it gets the temps overnight. I know my fridge wouldn't be able to keep the temp at anything higher than mid 40's to low 50's, but if your fridge can keep a large volume of liquid at a stable temperature that's ideal for your yeast, then have at it.

If you find your temps getting too low, you could always invest in an external temperature controller. They should be pretty easy to find. :mug:

If you find your temps getting too low, you could always invest in an external temperature controller. They should be pretty easy to find. :mug:

Thats what I use

scaled.php

Note the temp controller on the wall

It works really well - the only problem is that I haven't found a way to keep the brew warm in the winter so I have to switch to the closet in the winter time

:eek:

I was throwing around the idea of getting two chest freezers, one for the keezer, and another to keep the fermentation temps cool enough during the warmer seasons. I think blowmax10's picture just convinced me. Now I just have to convince SWMBO! =P

Is that a freezer or fridge? I just got an OLD fridge with the freezer on top. WIll these temp controllers work on an old fridge/freezer stack model?

What are you fermenting temps at with that? I was going to ferment in an old fridge, but I don't think I can get it warm enough. Would the temp control help with that or only to keep it more steady?

Yes, they will. If you have a little electrical skill (can wire a plug), you can get a Love Controller Yes, spend the extra $15 and get the two output.

One output (cool) just goes into the ac plug for the fridge.
The other, you get a lamp light and a ceramic heater.

With these two, you can create a ferm chamber that can keep your brew +/- 1*. I did this on a freezer, but mine was a pain in the *** cause I only had one output from the controller.

A friend of mine said he used a 60 watt light bulb to keep the fridge warm in the winter, with some sort of temperature coltroller that would cycle it on/off.

For temp controls see Search Results.
If the fridge/freezer is indoors, the heat generated by fermentation should supply enough heat to keep it warm enopugh, and the controller switches on the cooling if it gets too warm. If it is in the garage/basement, you may need something like CONTROLLER & HEATER PACKAGE @ Williams Brewing to provide both heating and cooling.

-a.

I've put a utility light in mine w/a 60W bulb on all the time and my temp controller set at 62F.When the bulb heats the fridge up,the controller kicks in and cools it back down.Cheap&easy.Just find the lowest watt bulb that will heat your fridge up enough to keep you in range.We used to do this in a shop I worked in to keep the welding rods dry-Bulb in unplugged fridge(kept the rods nice and crispy )

http://www.rancoetc.com

Generally:

Ales:
63F Check yeast recommendations
2 weeks primary
No secondary for ales
Keg or bottle

Lagers:
50F Check yeast recommendations
2-4 weeks primary
secondary to lager
Keg or bottle