Old Brewers Best - Continental Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was given a "Brewers Best" Kit that was four years old. I decided to give it a shot since it was free.

I never tried this brand or style for that matter....

Last weekend I racked it from the primary to the secondary. It didn't look like a pilsner at all. I was dark like a Sam Adams Boston Lager and tasted like it too.

Is this brew supposed to be like that??

Contents:
3.3 lbs John Bull Light LME
2 lbs Light DME
12 oz Carapils
60 Minute Boil
1 oz of Perle Hops (55 min)
1 oz of Saaz Hops (5 min)​

- Dry Ale Yeast - (Pilsner Misnomer.)

The hops smelled OK, The beer tasted OK - Drinkable, no aweful taste, just not what I expected.

Is this the results of old using old ingredients?

I looked up Continental Lager its a large category - Golden Color, SRM 3-5, Full body, slightly malty. Style examples; Munchner-Helles, German Pilsner, Bohemian & Czech Pilsners

Comments????

LME gets dark the longer it sits. sitting around for 4 years probably made it VERY dark...

After three or six years, LME is best used for stouts. But, as long as the can isn't bulging, it will make beer.

Old LME probably explains the colour, and the ale yeast probably explains the departure from a true pilsner flavour. Pilsners are essentially lagers.

Back