Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer White Chocolate American Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZ_Jack

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast Labs #1010 (American Wheat Ale)
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
4.0 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days at 70ºf
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 70ºf
Additional Fermentation
3 day crash at 32ºf
Tasting Notes
Trying to pay homage to the Sonoran White Chocolate Ale
Grains:
5.50 lbs Begian Pilsner 2-Row (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
0.50 lbs Flaked Wheat (1.6 SRM)
0.25 lbs Honey Malt (25 SRM)

Mash at 150ºf for 75 minutes
Fly Sparge at 168º-170º

Boil (90 min):
.75 oz Tettnang (AA 4.5%) last 60 min of boil
.50 oz East Kent Goldings (AA 5%) last 10 min of boil
.25 oz Irish Moss (clarifying agent) last 10 min of boil
.25 oz Tettnang (AA 4.5%) last 5 min of boil
8.0 oz Cocoa Powder "Tea" (unsweetened) last 5 min of boil

Going to use Wyeast #1010 to avoid clove flavor. No starter.
Going for 4.0 SRM, 5% ABV (4.8% before adding the 8oz of liquor), 17.4 IBU

I plan to take 2 pints of hot wort out of the pot with about 10 minutes of boil let. I'll mix in the Cocoa Powder to this wort and dump it back in for the final 5 minutes. My hope is to relieve clumping issues with the powder.

Secondary:
For flavoring in the secondary, I'll split and soak three madigascar vanilla beans in 8 oz of creme de cocoa for a few hours and then dump the whole mixture into the secondary. Let sit for 2 weeks before doing a 3-day crash cool. Then keg.

I would love some thoughts on this recipe before I brew. I scoured the forums for a Sonoran White Chocolate (SWC) clone and found a few things but nothing definitive. I don't plan on this being a clone; I'm not that good! But my wife has requested a white chocolate beer close to theirs and that's what I'm aiming for.

From what others have said, SWC is an American wheat beer with a 16.1 IBU and 4.7% ABV. The numbers in my recipe are from Beersmith 2.0 and are as close as I could come.

When I drink a SWC, I barely notice that it is a wheat beer. I'm not a fan of Belgian wheats, mainly because of the yeast I think. Someone posted earlier about using the #1010 and I like the sound of it. I'm not at all settled on my hop choices. I don't taste much hops at all in the SWC.

Back