Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Nail polish remover

Old 08-01-2014, 11:23 AM   #11
JusBiz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

When I made my first batch of rice wine (from a thread on hbt) I left the lid loose on my fermenting jug in fear of a giant glass bomb in my kitchen. The wine ended up with a massive acetone smell. I repeated the procedure with a tighter seal and all was well. I know that it is a different yeast, but perhaps your problem may be due to oxygen exposure and and a stressed yeast batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Talgrath Likes This 
Old 02-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #12
BaldApe
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I have a similar problem. An IPA that was splendid was solvent flavored by the time the keg was finished, now an Altbier, same thing.
I suspect an infection in the keg, because it didn't taste that way when it was kegged, nor for a couple of weeks after kegging.
Does anyone know what organism might cause this?

Old 02-26-2015, 01:50 PM   #13
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 992 Times on 788 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Yes, Saccharomyces cerevisiae produces fairly large amounts of ethyl acetate (nail polish remover usually is largely ethyl acetate, MEK, acetone and similar solvents). It is, at low levels, responsible for some of the fruity notes of ales where it is welcome. At high levels it gives the beer a solvent quality which is most unwelcome (except in the UK where they drink Tetleys which I think must be dosed with some extra at kegging). The usual cure for excessive levels is to select a strain which produces less and to lower the temperature at which it is operated.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:24 PM   #14
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 324 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 30

After draining my fermenter and leaving it with the yeast cake for about a month or more, there have been many times when I'd pick up a very strong acetone aroma in the fermenter. The fermenter never gets above 65F, but the large mass of yeast and minor covering of residual beer must create conditions that promote that conversion to the daughter products such as acetone.

Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-...?ref=bookmarks