1 inch o-ring on a barley crusher?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, it's time for a really dumb question. Is there a 1 inch o-ring somewhere on the barley crusher?

The reason I ask is weird. I just finished a brew. While I was stirring my mash, there was a broken, thin o-ring in the mash. I pulled it out. It's about an inch in diameter, and it's thin and very flexible.

Here's the dumber question- um, where did THAT come from? My base grain came directly out of the sack, inside my rubbermaid bin. The specialty grains came from smaller ziploc bags in another bin. I weighed them myself, and hooked the drill up to the crusher. There wasn't any o-ring in my cooler MLT. So I've got to assume it came off of the BC. Or not. It's not a small one like I've seen on the edge of the rollers.

Can anyone solve my mystery without making me feel stupid? Or is it already too late? :D

I don't have a barley crusher but I recall reading that they come with an O ring like that to make sure the rollers don't move during shipping.

I've had this happen to me. Turns out it was attached to my drain hole on my mash tun. Could have been that.

I don't have a barley crusher but I recall reading that they come with an O ring like that to make sure the rollers don't move during shipping.

Yoop did you try the search first..... j/k :D

could be but I was under the impression it was on the non driven roller so that it could be tested at the factory . Mine came off after the first crush too

Yoop did you try the search first..... j/k :D

could be but I was under the impression it was on the non driven roller so that it could be tested at the factory . Mine came off after the first crush too

I've had this crusher more than a year, and I don't remember such a large o-ring in it. That's what I'm puzzling over. I assumed we were talking about a smaller, thicker o-ring, to hold the roller. I am wrong often, though, so you all could be right.

DID you brew on BREW BEAST? No... it isnt ready yet... is it?

I've had this crusher more than a year, and I don't remember such a large o-ring in it. That's what I'm puzzling over. I assumed we were talking about a smaller, thicker o-ring, to hold the roller. I am wrong often, though, so you all could be right.

I found a little orange o ring( looked like a fruit loop) in a sealed 55# sack of MO didn't think anything of it. Just think of all the machinery that grain is subject to prior to bagging as long as its not a body part I could care less..

DID you brew on BREW BEAST? No... it isnt ready yet... is it?

Nope. lschiavo is coming over tomorrow afternoon. He's building me an extension cord tonight, and we'll have it ready by tomorrow evening! My first run on Thursday will probably be water and oxyclean, to clean it and see how it works. I have a feeling I'll be making a huge mess the first time, with the pump and disconnects that I have to close. Hopefully, brewing on Friday or Sunday.

I have a Barley Crusher and my O-ring lasted about 4 batches and fell in the bucket... I found it later in the mash while I was stirring. The grain keeps the slave roller rolling while I'm milling... I don't even know why they put them on there.

Ive only put two batches of grain through mine but the o-ring already looks like its ready to fall off.

The sheet of directions I got with it says that it is prone to happening and is not a cause for concern, nor does it need to be replaced as others have said.

Nope. lschiavo is coming over tomorrow afternoon. He's building me an extension cord tonight, and we'll have it ready by tomorrow evening! My first run on Thursday will probably be water and oxyclean, to clean it and see how it works. I have a feeling I'll be making a huge mess the first time, with the pump and disconnects that I have to close. Hopefully, brewing on Friday or Sunday.

:off:

Careful with all that water and electricity Yoop! I dont want to have to name my new rig after you, as a memorial... "Yooper Brew 9000"

When mine broke I emailed the BC people. Here was their reply:

The O-ring that you are talking about is mainly there for our purposes for
when the mill is assembled. We use the O-rings to insure that both rollers
are spinning freely when assembled.

The O-ring does not need to be replaced. Your mill will work the same
with or with out the O-ring. As the grain is being pulled through, this will
turn the idle roller.

I just looked in my bucket and said hmm where did that come from and tossed it out not giving much thought about it. Now I know lol

I found a little orange o ring( looked like a fruit loop) in a sealed 55# sack of MO didn't think anything of it. Just think of all the machinery that grain is subject to prior to bagging as long as its not a body part I could care less..

Those small orange o rings are common in grain sacks. I believe they're provided so that you can reseal the inner plastic bag of the sack if you need to. (think of it as a hair-tie like girls use for pony tails).

Back