started the strawberry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkvail

Reaction score
OK, I started my must with this recipe below substituting frozen berries and lemon juice for the citric acid:

Now, it didn't say to use campden, but I doubled this recipe and added 2 crushed and dissolved campden tabs just now (it's cooled down). Should I add the yeast now, or wait for a while since I added the campden?
The yeast I got was all the store had for now (I found a store in Burlington). It's red star 'premier cuvee' - hopefully this is OK. I told him I was going to make strawberry and apple wines.

I'm going to get apple juice tomorrow to start some apfelwein too :) Will the same red star yeast be OK for the apfelwein, or will I need to find another yeast?

Strawberry Wine (1)

3 lbs. fresh strawberries
2-1/2 lbs. granulated sugar
2 tsp. citric acid
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast & nutrient

Place all ingredients except yeast in crock. Crush fruit with hands and cover with 5 pints boiling water. Stir with wooden paddle to dissolve sugar and simultaneously mash the strawberries. When cooled to 85 degrees F., add yeast. Cover and stir daily. Strain on 7th day, transfer to secondary fermentation vessel, top up to one gallon, fit fermentation trap, and set aside. Rack after 30 days and again after additional 30 days. Bottle when clear. Allow to age at least 6 months. Will improve to one year.

OK, I see upon searching the apfelwein pages, that others have used the premier cuvee, so I'll try it when I make mine :) I think I'll had a hint of cinnamon and cloves to mine too :)

You can add the yeast tomorrow- just keep the must covered with a clean towel for the night and add the yeast approximately 24 hours later.

Premier cuvee seems like a good yeast to use. I've used it in blackberry wine before, with good results.

You can add the yeast tomorrow- just keep the must covered with a clean towel for the night and add the yeast approximately 24 hours later.

Premier cuvee seems like a good yeast to use. I've used it in blackberry wine before, with good results.

thanks for answering so quick! I will wait until tomorrow then when I bring home the apple juice. I'm hoping to find it in glass jugs at the health food store - haven't been able to find it in glass jugs anywhere I've looked yet. I will give up though if I don't see it in glass jugs tomorrow though.....

Back