Screw it, I'm brewing....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HurricaneFloyd said:
Is there an 11 lb minimum for an order of hops from them? Their site says 11lb, then under that it says Bags $/ lb. It doesn't say if you can order just 1 lb or not.

If you download the pdf catalog, they have homebrewer prices /quantities in that. I think. ;)

Just kegged a Pliny The Elder clone. Incredible brew! You will love it.

Wow...this mofo is kickin'! Of course because of my spontaneous decision to brew yesterday, I didn't have time to get a starter going, so I pitched 2 packets of safale-56. It is really going to town right now. My whole house smells of fermentation. It is so lovely.
:mug:

Dude said:
Wow...this mofo is kickin'! Of course because of my spontaneous decision to brew yesterday, I didn't have time to get a starter going, so I pitched 2 packets of safale-56. It is really going to town right now. My whole house smells of fermentation. It is so lovely.
:mug:

With that hop schedule I bet it does smell good. :)

We pulled a sample of this thing tonight......holy crap is that citrusy! I love it, but this thing is a monster. And to think, it still has 4 dry hop additions to go! :eek:

Chairman Cheyco said:
Two questions:

1) How did this turn out?
2) Someone (SwAMi75) said that there were still dry hop additions to add, what were they?

1) It turned out awesome. Prolly the best recipe I've done yet. It is a true monster of a beer. The hop flavor that came through was pretty awesome--nothign like I've ever tasted before.

2) It had 3 dry hop additions for approximately 2 weeks each, of 1.25 ounces EACH of columbus, centennial and simcoe.

I just re-brewed it actually. It was that good. Moving it to secondary tonight, then I'm gonna wait 2-3 weeks and dry-hop and then bottle the whole batch.

Dude said:
1) It turned out awesome. Prolly the best recipe I've done yet. It is a true monster of a beer. The hop flavor that came through was pretty awesome--nothign like I've ever tasted before.

2) It had 3 dry hop additions for approximately 2 weeks each, of 1.25 ounces EACH of columbus, centennial and simcoe.

I just re-brewed it actually. It was that good. Moving it to secondary tonight, then I'm gonna wait 2-3 weeks and dry-hop and then bottle the whole batch.

Dude how long do you wait after dry hopping to bottle?

Dude said:

HMMM. I have never thought to DH in stages like that. When I brewed PTE my recipe called for a total of 6.75oz which I chucked in all at once and left it for a month. Turned out great. I may try doing it in stages next time. Are there advantages? Probably my favourite recipe to date. Trying a FFF Dreadnaught next.

No, I haven't tried a IIPA yet and I'm collecting data. That's pretty dry for that big of a beer and I suspected yours was from the people around here who have tried it. I think Pliny finishes at 1.012 or so. Supposedly, a dry finish is something that is often overlooked by people who brew IIPAs, and it is essential.

Chairman Cheyco said:
No, I haven't tried a IIPA yet and I'm collecting data. That's pretty dry for that big of a beer and I suspected yours was from the people around here who have tried it. I think Pliny finishes at 1.012 or so. Supposedly, a dry finish is something that is often overlooked by people who brew IIPAs, and it is essential.

I agree. That much malt (in an IIPA) could be sickening sweet if it doesn't finish.

This is by far the best beer I've done. Vinnie really has a killer recipe here.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Is this that Pliny I tried the other night? That was an AWESOME beer. Pretty much convinced me to brew an IPA next instead of a brown ale.

Baron, have you brewed this yet? I was just checking out my hop inventory, and I really need to brew one of these to clean out my freezer...

do you have to use whole hop additions for the boil or whould pellets work just as well? also...does 1.5oz chinook whole hops equal 1.5oz chinook pellets or is there a conversion?

I'm thinking of brewing this but I have one question (excuse my ignorance) when is the corn sugar added? Is it at the boil?

Also, what are the fermentaion times and temperatures?

Back