Mold from dried fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmyoute

Reaction score
I started up a batch of cider using 2 gallons of apple juice (pasteurized) and some brown sugar and the Wyeast cider smack pack. I carefully sanitized all my equipment and then got the great idea to toss in some dried fruit that was hanging out in the cupboard. Realizing afterwards that I didn't sanitized the fruit.

Now after three days there's a little bit of white stuff in the fruit and around it. It's fermenting well with a bubble about every second but it does have a sour smell.

Here's a couple pics:

f_Mouldm_c67ec3a.jpg

f_Mould2m_917ca95.jpg

What are the chances I'm headed toward tasty cider -vs- vinegar? The first batch that I just racked was two gallons of juice with six pounds of honey and just smelled like sweet apple juice while fermenting (using a dry mead smack pack) and over time the smell just got less and less sweet.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should cut my losses on this batch and get a good one going rather than having a bad batch take up my carboy space.

looks fine, I'm guessing you've never seen high krausen on a beer? The yeast will attack that fruit for it's sugar, they'll probably be covered in yeast soon.

I've just done a mead and cider before this batch and this is the first fruit I've tossed in the primary so no I haven't seen high krausen on a beer before.

The smell just seemed a bit off so I figured I'd check. Looks like I'll let it do it's thing for the next few weeks. :rockin:

Back