cooler mash tun alternative

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matc

Reaction score
So i've been thinking about replacing my cooler mash tun for a while. I like the simplicity of the cooler but I don't like the idea of putting very hot liquid in plastic.

I thought about buying a kettle, putting it in a larger container and fill the void with foam. But it would be ugly. What I did is cutting small strips of 1" HD foam bought at home depot and tape them around my kettle. I then put two wraps of bubble foil insulation around it and finally covered the whole thing with strips of poplar. The bottom and cover are also insulated with HD foam. I added two latches in order to completely remove the insulation for cleaning purposes ! It holds the temps perfectly !

P1000461_zpsfc977f03.jpg

P1000462_zpsd29c839e.jpg

here's a close-up of the cover

P1000463_zps475e8cbe.jpg

P1000464_zps2a3d4e11.jpg

Looks great!!
but, to be the bad guy among compliments, this is a cooler design way cooler looking with the wood. wouldn't be a igloo cooler wrapped in wood similar?
Again, great idea and cool looks!

well like I said above, I was never a big fan of mashing in plastic not approuved for hot liquid so I wanted to get rid of it

Back