Can't find beer gas, can it be blended at home?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mashuganabrew

Brewing... could anything be better?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I live in WV... apparently, a place devoid of anything modern or efficient. I've searched all day and it looks like my only option to fill my nitrogen tank is to ship it to PA which will require me driving it there or a 5 wk trip via my local gas supplier (whom apparently only supplies CO2 and propane) Anyway.... has anone combined nitrogen and CO2 effectively with two seperate tanks?

Yes, you can do it at home! You say you have a nitrogen tank (note that beer gas and nitrogen are different)
Anyway, if you’ve got a nitrogen filler then fill that tank… and, assuming you’ve got some co2, leave it on co2 for a “lesser” amount of time and at a lower pressure. As the keg dispenses, you will need to put some co2 in but not much… don’t forget you’ll have to purge the keg as the nitrogen should be on higher pressure (30+psi) compared to the co2 10psi… again, depending on your situation (line length, temp, what you are serving, etc).. so, yes, you can do it yourself! F’ beer gas! It’s a gimmick! And now you can control your co2!

But, best bet would be to get a gas blender (around $1,500)… cheers!

You can actually pick up a used gas blender on e-bay for $250-$300. I purchased mine there and have seen many more sell. Just have to be patient.

I've purchased two dual mix (Ales + Stouts) blenders. Bought one for $250 and the other for $50. It takes a lot of patience but you can get pretty good deals camping out craigslist & ebay.

Wow, I’m missing the ebay deals but haven’t been consistent on looking!

$50?!? Last one I saw (6 months ago) was used, old, beat up and selling for $1k.

See, I just did a search: “beer gas blender” and getting one for $625… what’s the search you’re using? Can you use any type of gas blender?

No, has to be a gas blender they allow the use of two different pressures to draw equally based on settings for your mix. I use one that I had for blending gas for welding.

I usually just search for "gas blender", you get a few extra hits but it doesn't take long to weed through them. Then you also get a gander at the 2 Stroke Gas Powered Margarita Blender:rockin:

I got a dual blend micro-matic MM200 there a couple years back for $300 shipped. Does both 60/40 and 75/25.

beaksnbeer said:
No, has to be a gas blender they allow the use of two different pressures to draw equally based on settings for your mix. I use one that I had for blending gas for welding.

Off topic-Love your avatar' I have a sun conure that loves my beer on a hot day. Have to cut him off then he gets mad and wants to bite me. :)

Mine too he won't bite my wife or me, but he would probably drink til he fell off the perch if I let him, 3-4 beak dips was all he would get. Know I really have to watch him as he just sticks he's beak in and get the tongue going. BMC type beers he'll dip his beak and "taste" then shake his head flinging off whats left. :off:

Back