Conical question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatleetboy

Reaction score
I just got a new 12.2 conical fermenter, made from Toledo Spinning hopper and lid. The lid of course, has no hole in it for a blow off tube. My (probably dumb) question is, should I drill one? Some conicals seem to have them, in others, pictures seem to show the lid just being clamped down. I think I remember reading somewhere that the CO2 gas released during fermentation should be vented, otherwise this will promote off-flavours in the beer. I know that some fermentations are gentle, and some violent, and I certainly don't want the conical to blow up!

Anybody have the right answer?

Just put the lid on and don't seal it. The CO2 will push out under the lid and it will still be covered. The first plastic conical I had worked great that way. Once in a great while I would get blow off from under the lid and onto the floor but I had a mop.

Barry

Barry
Thanks for the advice. I just put 10 gallons of Ordinary Bitter in there, so I'm probably just a little more worried than I need to be!

Once primary fermentation is complete you are going to need to figure how you protect your brew. The CO2 pressure will drop and you could end up with some funky beer if you don't watch out. The big trick of TMS conicals is getting a seal system worked out. Good luck and enjoy the new toy.

Well, I put on a gasket from B3. I usually rack off to a keg after 5 days. Is that not good enougH? I hadn't heard of a problem using TMS conicals. Is there an FAQ on conicals somewhere?

Brewpastor said:
Once primary fermentation is complete you are going to need to figure how you protect your brew. The CO2 pressure will drop and you could end up with some funky beer if you don't watch out. The big trick of TMS conicals is getting a seal system worked out. Good luck and enjoy the new toy.

I have two of them and love them. The problem is you have to work out your own sealing syatem which can be tricky. If you are racking to a keg that quick you will be fine. I hold my batches in mine longer then that and so I wanted a more serious seal that would hold pressure. I ended up with a system like Blichman's with a circular clamp. It works great. But it sounds like you will be fine.

Brewpastor
WHEW!! I feel greatly reassured! I'm a little nervous about using it for the first time. It's good to know that you've found a way to make them work for you. (My basement in the great white north is a different environment than your garage in the great hot southwest anyhow, I suppose.) It's hard to find much info on their use, so every little bit of info helps...

Cheers

Latest posts

Back