Homebrew Ethics: WIFE DUMPED MY BREW!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerichobill

Reaction score
Okay, I'll lay it out. I had some friends over for poker last night and was offering up three different homebrews. When I went to the 'john', my buddy told my wife that he didn't care for his IPA, and prefered the Cream Ale that he had before. She promptly dumped his near full IPA down the drain and replaced it with a Cream Ale. When I came back from the bathroom, he had a full Cream Ale in front of him.

I was pissed (mostly at my wife and a little bit at my buddy, who claimed that he would have been happy to finish the beer if it haden't been dumped out). I don't care if he doesn't like it, but don't dump it! I would have drank it! Am I overreacting??? Who's in the wrong??? The Wife???? The Buddy??? Me for brewing Cream Ale???

although our hard work and love goes into our beer...I dont sweat the small shi** if any dumpage can be avoided thats great,
But explain to your wife that the next time your buddy would prefer a different beer DONT POOR THE OLD ONE OUT and that you'd gladly drink it :)

Although I understand how you feel about the act, yeah, in the scheme of life its one beer.
Maybe her first thought was you wouldn't was backwash beer - maybe one of hers, but Bros?
And he didn't make it and doesn't have that attachment, the work and care that went into it.
Don't sweat it.

Edit: Amazing! I typed mine during the above - and I SWEAR I did not read it first! Proof it must be the right answer

I dump beer all the time when it doesn't suit the mood. RDWDAHB, you can always make another batch, but the wife is one of a kind.

This seems to be a case of sweating the small stuff. If this really angers you, you may be headed for a heart attack or stroke.

I wouldn't be too mad at the wife, but I would pull the "buddy's" man card for alcohol abuse.

I dump the first few ounces every time I break a tap after it's been sitting for a couple of days, just to make sure I don't get any plastic flavor in there. I'm sure I have dumped way more than a pint.

Just explain to her how you would have preferred she handle this situation so it doesn't happen again in the future. She probably meant well and didn't intend to make you or anyone upset.

BY the title I thought she dumped a whole batch. That is something to get pissed about. One glass. meh - not that big a deal.

Yup, the title was a bit misleading.

Your wife was just being a good hostess and I wouldn't be mad at her....but Man Law states that you cannot let beer go to waste!

You're over reacting, just like those folks who get bent out of shape when the cashier flips over the sixer of beer to scan the bar code, not even concerning themselves with the fact that that six pack is going to be shaken up in a car til you get home and jostled all manner of ways.

It's just beer, not life or death...and besides, you have a friend that LIKED one of your beers over another, consider yourself lucky that you friends don't prefer bud light lime over your homebrews.

He just preferred something different and your wife accomdated him like a good host that she is....Hell a lot of folks wouldn't even consider drinking another person's backwash beer (you did say he sampled it after all.)

And like someone else said, it's not the only beer you have on tap, let alone actually brew...man up and grow up you baby, and consider it a sacrifice to the beer gods.....

:rolleyes:

No winder the divorce rate is as high as it is...I bet you have to have the toilet paper hanging in a certain way on the roll too, dontja?

No doubt. Pint of beer cost you maybe 50-60 cents to make. It's a hobby so you don't concern yourself with time. The key here is communication. Tell your wife next time if someone doesn't like a beer, save it for you to finish and just get them something else.

In all fairness, it's the internet... I think the OP was more lightheartedly joking about it and isn't really fuming over it - hence he said, "Is it my fault for brewing a cream ale?" lol.

I too thought from the thread title she dumped a whole batch, kinda like a "You're drinking too much and I'm laying down the law... the beer GOES NOW!!". haha, I would've flipped in that instance.

But I hear ya, sucks to see even a pint of something that takes a number of weeks to be ready dumped. But she was just being a good hostess and didn't think much of it. I'm sure she'll now wait and say, "Honey, Joe didn't want this... wanna finish or fridge it?" :)

Rev.

If my wife pulled that I'd paddle her butt! Then I'd give my buddy hell for not stopping her... he should know better. Wouldn't sweat it too much though :mug:

I was pissed (mostly at my wife and a little bit at my buddy, who claimed that he would have been happy to finish the beer if it haden't been dumped out). I don't care if he doesn't like it, but don't dump it! I would have drank it! Am I overreacting??? Who's in the wrong??? The Wife???? The Buddy??? Me for brewing Cream Ale???

You need meds. Relax and enjoy life. Jeez.

Your fault. Never share a whole pint with someone who can't be trusted enough to finish it like a man. Next time pour him a taster first. And make it a boons or something.

Thanks, guys, for the perspective. First I'll take some meds (any suggestions?), then I'll beat and divorce my wife, then I'll stroke out and top it off with a coronary.

You're over reacting, just like those folks who get bent out of shape when the cashier flips over the sixer of beer to scan the bar code, not even concerning themselves with the fact that that six pack is going to be shaken up in a car til you get home and jostled all manner of ways.

It's just beer, not life or death...and besides, you have a friend that LIKED one of your beers over another, consider yourself lucky that you friends don't prefer bud light lime over your homebrews.

He just preferred something different and your wife accomdated him like a good host that she is....Hell a lot of folks wouldn't even consider drinking another person's backwash beer (you did say he sampled it after all.)

And like someone else said, it's not the only beer you have on tap, let alone actually brew...man up and grow up you baby, and consider it a sacrifice to the beer gods.....

No winder the divorce rate is as high as it is...I bet you have to have the toilet paper hanging in a certain way on the roll too, dontja?

Yep! Revvy's back in the saddle! Watch out you f'n noobs....:D

Did I just get called out by the great Revvy??? I've finally arrived on this forum. Hey revvy...it's just beer, huh? Considering that you're pushing your 27,000th post on this site, I'm guessing it's probably not "just beer" to you either.

To the rest who say that my wife was being a good hostess, I wonder how your wives would react if you dumped the dried out pot roast she presented to you and said "I think I'll order myself a pizza for dinner instead."

To the rest who say that my wife was being a good hostess, I wonder how your wives would react if you dumped the dried out pot roast she presented to you and said "I think I'll order myself a pizza for dinner instead."

c'mon dude you cannot be serious. it was just A beer. worth being mad at your wife or friend?

+1 on 4 oz tasting glasses.

Also, you are definitely over reacting. i thought it was a batch also.. a glass.. who cares.

Your wife was doing the right thing and keeping your guest happy. if he wanted a cream ale, let him have a cream ale. that is what he prefers.

also, if you keg... dont give people full pours if they have never had it before. give them a sample. if they like it they are welcome to get a refill. i hate certain styles... as do your guests.

It's too late to get away with it now, but you should have broke the neck of the bottle and cut up her face with it. You would have walked after claiming it as a crime of passion.

Totally different situation. It was a guest in your house not you. She didn't reject the beer you gave her did she?

Had she dumped a bucket because it farted at her that's different. One glass because a friend wants another....get pissed at the friend.

Your wife sounds like a keeper. Mine would either be gone during the poker game or bitching about how much everyone is drinking.

+1 on 4 oz tasting glasses.

Also, you are definitely over reacting. i thought it was a batch also.. a glass.. who cares.

Your wife was doing the right thing and keeping your guest happy. if he wanted a cream ale, let him have a cream ale. that is what he prefers.

Don't even need special glasses. Just do a small pour to see if they like it first. Especially an IPA. Geez.....

Back