Smuttynose "finest kind" IPA clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
Ive heard really good things about this IPA. Being the IPA lover I am, I decided to contact them directly to try and score the clone. They responded back with this exact email-
PS. there pilsner malt is actually 2row, they just use the pilsner name to differ from there english pale ale malt. DONT USE PILSNER MALT..
as far as the ibu's, i would just adjust it according to reach 70, i'd also dry hop with 2oz of amarillo, enjoy...

S.G. 1.060
IBU's 70

Grain Bill:
Pilsner Malt 84% (actually 2row!)
Pale Ale Malt 13%
Crystal 60L 3%

Hopping:Start of boil - Warrior Flavoring - Simcoe (we add equal amounts every 5 min for the last 30 min of the boil)Whirlpool - SantiamDry Hop - Amarillo
Yeast - American Ale Yeast

It's really fairly straight forward. The biggest thing is adding the Simcoes throughout the end of the boil.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

dave

David Yarrington
Executive Brewer
Smuttynose Brewing Co.
Portsmouth, NH

That's funny, I had the founder of Smuttynose in my offices about a month ago and brought in a growler of my pale ale that was 2 row, crystal 20 and 60, and hops were simcoe, amarillo, and Summit for boil additions and summit and simcoe dry hop. He like d my beer so much he drank off the growler and really liked my beer. Pat's a cool dude!

DFH 50 min IPA is warrior, simcoe amarillo with contuous hopping along the way too. I use those three hops and do a 2 row with Simpsons Dark crystal 75L and my buddies at work raved over it. This sounds like a good recipe.

That's funny, I had the founder of Smuttynose in my offices about a month ago and brought in a growler of my pale ale that was 2 row, crystal 20 and 60, and hops were simcoe, amarillo, and Summit for boil additions and summit and simcoe dry hop. He like d my beer so much he drank off the growler and really liked my beer. Pat's a cool dude!

DFH 50 min IPA is warrior, simcoe amarillo with contuous hopping along the way too. I use those three hops and do a 2 row with Simpsons Dark crystal 75L and my buddies at work raved over it. This sounds like a good recipe.

thats really cool he liked your brew, it sounds like a good pale ale recipe. although the hops your using almost sounds like your treading in IPA territory. i guess it doesnt matter if the ibu's are in check. by the way, DFH 60, not 50...

Back