RIMS: MLT/E-Keggle outlets, dip tube VS bottom valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonkeyWrench

Reaction score
Looking at doing a RIMS system with E-Keggle, what are the benefits of going with a dip tube in from the side VS a hole in the center of the bottom going straight down? Would one be preferred over the other, and why?

I can build my rig to use any style. Out the bottom seems better to me since you can eliminate the hole in the false bottom in the MLT. But for the Keggle, out the bottom seems like it would have a likely hood to collect the hop slurry right away and plug. I suppose you could do a false bottom in the keggle with a fine mesh screen over it to help keep the hops out.

Comments, ideas, criticisms?

Thanks

There is no benefit to a sidewall drain in a electrically heated vessel since you really can't restart draining after the level has dropped below the port. I mean, there are ways, but it's not as easy as opening the valve. The only downside to the bottom drain is having to notch out the keg skirt and/or route the drain/valve underneath your brew stand. You can still install a bazooka Tee in the bottom or bag your hops.

I think a bottom drain is optimum for getting every bit of wort possible out of the keggle or kettle. The dip tube will only drain as low as the dip tube goes.

Latest posts

Back