Another first batch from a newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker18

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Tried my Brewhouse Honey Blonde yesterday. It has only been in the bottle for a week, I know this is not enough time, but I wanted to see if there was any carb. happening. Got a nice little pop off the flip top, but not enough for a head yet. To my surprise, it wasn't that bad. Very clear, better than I was thinking. Good taste, not Oh My God great, but I drank the whole bottle. I'm sure with more time this will get better. Time to start the next batch, then get into all grain, then kegging, then the wet bar. Going to need a little cash infusion here.

I can't wait to move to all grain but need some money and more space.

I was really surprised by my first beer as well and they just get better after that.

You'd be surprised as to how cheaply you can really start doing all grain batches. Find a good price on a cooler, buy a toilet supply line and some hardware. To make my mash tun, it costed all but $40.00 to put together. Granted, you'll need a larger pot for the full volume boils, but AG is definately the next best logical step in the brewing process.

Just how big does the boil pot need to be for all grain full boils. I have a brand new turkey fryer sitting in the garage, and I am thinking it is 32 qt. Will this be enough if all I plan on doing is 5 gal. batches.

Just how big does the boil pot need to be for all grain full boils. I have a brand new turkey fryer sitting in the garage, and I am thinking it is 32 qt. Will this be enough if all I plan on doing is 5 gal. batches.

32 qt / 4 qt = 8 Gallon. PERFECT! Your 5 gallon batch will probably start around 6 to 7 gallons pre-boil. Just watch out for boil overs, but it should work nicely for most recipes.

I have a 32qt turkey fryer, and have done full boils since I started. It is a bit tight, especially if you begin with 6.5 gallons or so like I do. I begin with a higher boil volume to account for evaporation and space taken by hops, and the 32qt pot is, as I say, a bit tight. I'm personally in the market for a 40qt pot to have a little more headspace for a good rolling boil.

But you'll be fine with it as a start!

Back