Hydrometer vs. Air-lock Activity??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdsearcher

Reaction score
Hello All,

A newbie question, sorry. I have read repeatedly that fermentation is done when you get the same SG over two to three successive days, which I did:

Day 6 - 1.014
Day 7 - 1.014
Day 8 - 1.014

(OG - 1.066, Coopers Stout Extract + 3lb Amber DME + 5 Gallons water)

So if there is still activity, very very very slight, apparant in the air-lock, do you go ahead and bottle??

(When I removed the last sample from the tap (Coopers fermenter) the water in the air-lock was drawn from one "bulb" to the other, an hour later, I could see that the water had been slightly push back into the second "bulb").

Thanks - Peter

Keep it in primary for 2 to 3 weeks. If you bottle to early you have a higher chance of bottle bombs! Just let the beer do its thing. I usually dont even take a reading until I bottle. Some people might not agree with that but I have not had a problem yet. Im a new brewer as well but hope this helped.

Wow, very active board! All these guys know better than me so... take their advise.

Back