What's up with the AA%

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toy4Rick

Reaction score
Hey gang,

A few weeks back I brewed a Hef, used Hallertauer and didn't even think to check the AA, usually they are around 4.6%, this time they were 2.3%. Since I didn't catch it, I brewed it w/o adjusting. This beer is going to be very low at 6.1 IBUs instead of 12.7 which is more to my liking for this beer.

My neighbor was using Columbia and is usually around 5.5% but the last time they were 13.9%

Is it possible for the AA to vary that much or is something miss at my LHBS? I know they buy in bulk and repackage in 1-2 oz bags. I asked them if they were sure the AA was correct and naturally they said they were.

Thoughts?
Toy4Rick

AA varies from farm to farm and even crop to crop. All really depends on the soil, water, and weather conditions. So yes, they can vary quite a bit.

Toy4Rick said:
My neighbor was using Columbia and is usually around 5.5% but the last time they were 13.9%

If you meant Columbus than 13.9% sounds right.

bleme said:
This is why you aren't supposed to bitter with home grown hops - you can't test the AA%.
Screw that!

Who the F cares. You people need to lighten up on the calculation aspect of bitterness. Calcs over estimate IBUs for 60 min additions (see the Basic Brewing experiments) and they don't even account for whirlpool or flame out IBUs.

In the spirit of a home made product, I think it is exciting NOT knowing what I will get when I make a full home grown hopped beer.

Also, the AA% on a bag is what it was at the farm. Who knows how long the hops sat in a box in a 90 degree UPS truck and lost some AAs. Also, I have seen stores buy in bulk and then dole out 1 oz bags that aren't air barrier bags. Point being, even when the AA is printed on a bag you really don't know the AA% that is going into your boil.

His recipe called for Columbia at 5.5%, he might have purchased Columbus at 14%. That might be the issue here

Back