My Fortune for One 5/8" Stainless Steel Fender Washer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimE

Reaction score
I've built my 10 gallon, Rubbermaid MLT; and I'm ready to start my 1st AG brew. However, I used a steel (coated) fender washer on the inside since I could not find a stainless steel (SS) one. Would I jeopardize my wort if I use the steel washer? I don't want to taint the wort.

I have been unsuccessful in procuring a SS washer. I've tried Lowe's, HD, Ferguson, and some plumbing supply houses. Fastenal is wholesale. Any suggestions?

Does anyone here have an extra I could buy???

Have you tried Fastenal yet? I've been buying stuff from them for years. I don't own a business or have an account but as long as you pay cash they don't mind.

Had the same problem. Found a product at Home Depot called "create-a-bolt" made by crown bolt, inc. It's 4 pcs of each, 5/8 SS nuts, flat washer and lock washer. Paid about $3.50 for the kit. They were located near all the other nuts and bolts in a bright orange box. I couldn't find a picture on the net to post. Hope this helps.

Does your Lowes have any SS washers? They are usually in the "specialty fasteners" section

I know I bought some 3/4" ones at my Lowes.

If not, let me know, I'll swing buy, pick up a couple, and send them to you.

Edit: oh yeah, and to answer your question, the zinc plated washers are **** for acidic wort....get an SS for sure... (I am normally not an SS guy, I have all brass and copper fittings, I don't give a crap about bling, but everything I've seen says zinc=bad)

I couldn't find one either, so I used a brass washer (had to ream it out a little to fit). Used the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide mix to remove the surface lead before I used it.

I got mine from fastenal. It sucks that you have to buy a 10 pack, but it was only like $9. You never know when you'll need more, or if some body else is looking for them.

Check out some marine stores, thats where I got mine. I tried HD, Lowes, Ace, etc and was directed to the marina and found them at the first shop.

i chased the same rabbit a few months back. I checked with my fastenal rep from work... they could get me 100 fender washers, home depot and lowes and even the local "we have it all" hardware store... they didn't have it.

ended up finding a hardware package at home depot, Crown Bolt INC.'s create-a-bolt. for use with 5/8 threaded rod, came w/ 4 stainless steel nuts, 4 lock washers, and 4 fender washers.

hope that helps.

I have a True Value a couple miles from home. It's 1 /50th the size of Home Depot or Lowes, but seems to stock 50 times as much stuff (including SS fender washers).

-a.

I might have an extra one. my local Fastenal sold me a few of them. I had no idea they are wholesale only. I could probably put one in a regular envelope and mail it off. Drop me a pm and if I locate one I will send it off. I think I needed to use two. Let me know what size. I have a 5 gallon cooler and I don't know if they use a different size.

My fortune is what I paid at McMaster Carr for one SS washer. It was $5 and some change.

"If you have a fastenal around you can probably just get one or two, or you can get the 10 pack and share with your friends"

Agreed. It was not that much for a 10 pack (about $1 per washer or less). Don't know what all this is about Fastenall being a wholesaler. Montanaandy

I decided I didn't want to go on a scavenger hunt for the parts = Bargain Fittings. Got the kit, happy ever since.

I found a SS washer at Bargainfittings.com

For my MLT I chased down the parts myself at HD and Lowes. I got everything I needed except for the SS washer. When the time came to put a weld-less fitting on my brew kettle I decided to just get everything from Bargain Fittings, including the SS washer I needed for my MLT. When it was all said and done I spent about the same going through BF, save for the $5 shipping. It was definitely worth the extra $5 not have to chase everything down.

Fastenal did the trick! I have 10 of the washers. If anyone needs a couple let me know!

I actually gave a couple of them and an ss braid to one of my brew buddies for Christmas this year. Wrapped them up and everything.

It amazing that you can give someone hardware as a gift and they love it..
Last Christmas at the in laws I opened one from Santa (SWMBO) it was a high torque starter for my Chevelle my MIL was "like what the hell is that?!"

I love it best gift she has given me in a long time.

It amazing that you can give someone hardware as a gift and they love it..
Last Christmas at the in laws I opened one from Santa (SWMBO) it was a high torque starter for my Chevelle my MIL was "like what the hell is that?!"

I love it best gift she has given me in a long time.

Too Cool!!!!

I used a nylon washer found it at Lowes. Work's fine.

I seem to be having the same issue, you'd think someone would notice the gap in the market, start a stainless steel washer nich store and reap millions...I'm to busy making beer though.

Anyway I had the same idea, but I haven't been able to find anything about nylon being food grade nor about its ability to sustain high temps, forgive my ignorance, but does anyone have any information or thoughts about this?

Fastenal or ace hardware.

You would think lowes, menards, or home depot since they are bigger but nope. They don't have them. Some have found them there but after building a few different mash tuns I have found that ace hardware and fastenal are the best source. The guys at fastenal didn't charge me anything to open the bags and they were willing to sell me just 1 washer.

Definitely avoid the zinc washers. I thought the one I got was stainless, it corroded into a nasty mess after one mash. Went back to the store to double check...damn zinc!

Looks like no brewing today, I'll go to fastenal tomorrow.

Had the same problem. Found a product at Home Depot called "create-a-bolt" made by crown bolt, inc. It's 4 pcs of each, 5/8 SS nuts, flat washer and lock washer. Paid about $3.50 for the kit. They were located near all the other nuts and bolts in a bright orange box. I couldn't find a picture on the net to post. Hope this helps.

I recommend this also, worked for me just last weekend!

How's about getting some silicone ovenware containers and chopping them into as many washers as you can for less than a buck all up? Its FDA approved and will look after all your hot brew work for many many sessions.

:mug:

How's about getting some silicone ovenware containers and chopping them into as many washers as you can for less than a buck all up? Its FDA approved and will look after all your hot brew work for many many sessions.

:mug:

They need the hard washer to create a backing plate. The rubber/silicone washer goes behind that.

I bought a few big SS washers from Lowes and took them to work and drilled the inner hole for FREE on the lathe.

Maybe I should buy a bunch more and sell them here for profit! :D

I used zinc. The washer turned glossy dark grey after my first hot water leak test and stayed that way ever since. It's not rusted or flaking or anything. Seems fine to me. *shrug*

Just built my tun this past weekend and was unable to find a SS washer. I ended up buying a thick (1/16"?? thinnest I couldn't bend with my fingers) rigid nylon washer at Sears . It worked fine for my first AG. Hope this helps anyone in the future.

Couldn't find a 5/8's SS either. I purchases 5/8's Rubber washers thich ones. Then bought a 3/4 SS washer which you can get at Lowes or Homedepot. Worked fine. Just like to find a 5/8's SS sometime.

Here is an interesting question/idea... Instead of a 3/8" ball valve, I noticed the hole in the cooler wall could accomodate a little larger ball valve, such as a 1/2" ball valve. Has anyone ever tried using a bigger copper coupler/nipple, ball valve, and bard adapters?

The reason I suggest this is because I believe Lowe's has 3/4" SS washers readily available. A 3/4" washer MAY fit over a 1/2" ball valve assembly/brass coupler/nipple.

Here is an interesting question/idea... Instead of a 3/8" ball valve, I noticed the hole in the cooler wall could accomodate a little larger ball valve, such as a 1/2" ball valve. Has anyone ever tried using a bigger copper coupler/nipple, ball valve, and bard adapters?
Yes, you can definitely use a larger diameter fitting. I have 1/2" fittings on my HLT now. The only difficulty for me was that with my 10 gal Rubbermaid (round) cooler, the original seal is too small for 1/2" nipples. I had to use a silicone 0-ring instead. It sealed fine, but it is definitely not as substantial a seal as the original rubber seal that came with the cooler.

Yes, you can definitely use a larger diameter fitting. I have 1/2" fittings on my HLT now. The only difficulty for me was that with my 10 gal Rubbermaid (round) cooler, the original seal is too small for 1/2" nipples. I had to use a silicone 0-ring instead. It sealed fine, but it is definitely not as substantial a seal as the original rubber seal that came with the cooler.

What size o-ring and what size washers did you use with the 1/2" nipple in your Rubbermaid MLT?

Back