Please Critique this Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnio

Reaction score
I posted this in my thread about a giveaway beer for when my daughter is born, but it hasn't seen much action, so I thought I would start a new thread just for recipe critiquing.

I started with Jester's recipe from his post Sweet Success! and tried to put it more in line with what my friends drink...I was shooting for a lighter color and an IBU/SG ratio about that of a pale ale.

Code:
Baby Beer
Brew Type: All Grain  
Style: Made up  
Batch Size: 5.25 gal   
Boil Volume: 5.50 gal
Boil Time: 60 min 
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 % 

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU 
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 60.22 % 
3.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 25.81 % 
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 8.60 % 
0.50 lb Caramel Wheat Malt (46.0 SRM) Grain 4.30 % 
0.13 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.08 % 
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 19.8 IBU 
1.00 oz Pearle [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 24.4 IBU 
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 10.2 IBU 
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (2 min) Hops 1.4 IBU 
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc  

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.061 SG  
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.016 SG 
Estimated Color: 12.5 SRM (12.7-33.0 SRM) 
Bitterness: 55.8 IBU 
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.88

Anything you guys would do different? I am wanting to order all the ingredients for this and another couple beers during the AHS sale tomorrow, so any help is appreciated.

. . . tried to put it more in line with what my friends drink...I was shooting for a lighter color and an IBU/SG ratio about that of a pale ale.
The gravity and bitterness put it into the IPA range. If you're catering to a BMC croud, that may be too much for them.

The gravity and bitterness put it into the IPA range. If you're catering to a BMC croud, that may be too much for them.

Thanks for the comment, I can probably remove the chinook all together and lower the IBU quite a bit, but I was afraid that would get too malty.

My friends are not BMC drinkers, but don't like hop bombs either. They are middle of the road craft brew type people.

I think you're all right dropping the Chinook. The wheat will lighten the body, and you haven't got all that much caramel/crystal in there; it's less than 15% of the grist. You'll have a nice amber ale there, kind of a cross between a balanced APA and a hoppy American Wheat. What yeast do you plan to use? I'd go clean, Wyeast 1056, WLP Cal V or US-05.

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks Bob - I was thinking US-05, forgot to put that part on there

Removing the Chinook brings it down to 36 IBU, which is .592 ratio, you guys think that's better or should I pull a lb of Pale Malt out?

Latest posts

Back