looking for smoked extract recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

testudo

Reaction score
Does anyone have an extract recipe for any kind of smoked beer?
l am thinking something light but plenty of smoke flavor?
I think the all grain recipes would call for about 30% of the grain bill.
Would that be possible for an partial mash?

I would definately consider a PM. I have not tried a beer that used that weird smoke flavored extract, and I don't plan to. Something about smoke extract sounds very wrong to me. I would plan a PM and smoke all of the lighter grains yourself. If that is not an option I would substitute a portion of smoked malt. However, I always smoke my own so I can't give you advise on how to use the commercial stuff.

Good luck, I love Rauchbier :mug:

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

The next Jamil Show podcast will be on classic Rauchbiers. There's an older episode on Other Smoked Beers. I'm sure that the new one will have loads of good information on how to approach this from an extract perspective (which I think means you'll have to PM - but relax, it's easy)

NOW BACK TO YOUR REGULAR SCHEDULED POSTWHORING.....

Just a quicky...You actually smoke your grain or just a slow long roast

I actually smoke them. It is very easy to do, and IMHO returns a much better product. Plus you can accurately control the amount and type of smoke flavor. For example, my Smokey Boggart Porter uses a half and half mix of apple wood and hickory for the smoke flavor I am looking for.

Here is a pic of my setup: Nothing fancy....
IMG_0863.jpg

Check out this article for more info.

I was thinking the same thing..Dressed to smoke malt or be a professor at harvard lol

I do DME and steep grains.

I made just a general run of the mill light ale and added 1/4 tsp of liquid smoke in each 5 liter minikeg. I filled 4 kegs, but only smoked 2 of them.

I don't know how soon it was ready, but I tapped my first minikeg at 6 months and it was lightly smoked and very tasty.

I worked in Bamberg for 5 years and have been to the Schlenklera dozens and dozens of times, but my version was a really light smoke flavor nothing like the Aechte Rauchbier (Genuine Smoke Beer).

That's just how I roll. :D

Yes that smoker is awesome!!! It is my brothers and we use it for smoking everything. What you see right there is about 18lbs. of malt getting smoked. I just use an old screen bent into a basket. Turn the grains every 5 or so minutes and you are golden. I also keep a spray bottle filled with water and mist down the grain while turning.

Give it a shot, it works great!

It's dedication, is what it is. Clearly, he's at a Christmas party or something, but he ain't gonna let that f*ck up the smoker porter he's making in the morning!

That's HARDCORE, my friend!

My smoked porter is just finished conditioning, its great! Just use a little bit. I used 2 oz of peat smoked (?) for a 5 gal batch. The smoke can be strong.

Boerderij Kabouter said:
That's just how I roll. :D

Yes that smoker is awesome!!! It is my brothers and we use it for smoking everything. What you see right there is about 18lbs. of malt getting smoked. I just use an old screen bent into a basket. Turn the grains every 5 or so minutes and you are golden. I also keep a spray bottle filled with water and mist down the grain while turning.

Give it a shot, it works great!

How long do you smoke for, and what temp do you shoot for? How easy is it to regulate the temp with that smoker?

Bob Loblaw said:
My smoked porter is just finished conditioning, its great! Just use a little bit. I used 2 oz of peat smoked (?) for a 5 gal batch. The smoke can be strong.

Peat malt, use 2-4 ounces. Rauchmalt (far superior unless you just want some subtle aromatics, IMHO), you can go to town. You aren't going to do a rauchbier with peat, but peat-malted porters (a la Stone Smoked Porter) are MFT.

How long do you smoke for, and what temp do you shoot for? How easy is it to regulate the temp with that smoker?

I smoke my Porter for ~21 minutes turning every 5 minutes. This adds a nice smokey background but does not make it a "smokey" beer. It adds to the flavor, but does not define it. With a lighter beer I would go shorter, maybe 15 minutes. For a true Rauchbier, I would go for around 25-30 minutes and push the envelope. The longer you smoke for, the more you need to make sure you are misting the grains, elsewise you could burn the outside layer of grains.

Temp control is great, there is a little adjuster on the chimney, similar to a Weber grill vent.

Clearly, he's at a Christmas party or something

Not Christmas, but we did make about 50 lbs of sausage that night :D

Mmmmm.... fresh weiß wurst!

How much of the grist would you smoke? All of it, or just your bulk of what makes the grain bill?

If you are doing all-grain, I smoke all the pale malts. Specialty grains and darker roasts will not pick-up as clean a smoke flavor and don't need any more roasting than they already have. Controlling the smokiness with time and amount of smoke is much easier than trying to balance amounts of smoked vs. un-smoked grains IMHO.

Go for it!

Back